Burst filter housing

dsm

Jul 3, 2010
Double Oak, TX
We had 10 degree temps overnight. I kept my pump running all night. This is not my first freeze rodeo. I have a 1 year old Hayward filter. Just 10 minutes ago I walked outside to find water pouring through my filter, basically through the seal between the top & bottom of the filter housing. I'm kinda looking for some quick advice. We will have freezing weather for the next 2 days. Seems unwise to continue running the pump. I think I need to empty the water from the filter, disassemble the filter (not completely -just separate top from bottom), and then hope my pump does not freeze with whatever residual water is present. Is there a better idea? What am I missing?

Thanks

That's a shame. Leave everything off and do your best to drain water from any serviceable items on the pad. Cover for additional protection if you can. After this storm passes you can assess the true damage to the filter. Be sure to protect the skimmer as well.

hope my pump does not freeze with whatever residual water is present. Is there a better idea? What am I missing?

Remove the two drain plugs from the bottom of your pump.

If you have a shopvac or air compressor blow air into any lines you can from your pump or filter to clear water from valves and prevent cracking.

a10e0cd4-b02f-40d7-9058-e243c48c8e6a-jpeg.465655

Quick update. First, thanks for the prompt replies and advice. It is truly appreciated. Second - I am not nearly as bad a shape as I originally imagined.

When I saw my predicament, I definitely had water pouring from filter housing. Bad news, certainly. When I examined the location it appeared to be leaking through seam and gasket between the top and bottom halves of the housing. I disassembled the filter housing, looked at the top & bottom for any cracks. Finding none, I cleaned the gasket and 'seam' between top & bottom and reasssmbled the filter. Turned the pump back on and I have been running with no leak and no problem since then.

Apparently, the last guy to tighten the belt holding the filter housing together (me) did not tighten it sufficiently to prevent this kind of leak. Lesson learned.

Quick update. First, thanks for the prompt replies and advice. It is truly appreciated. Second - I am not nearly as bad a shape as I originally imagined.

When I saw my predicament, I definitely had water pouring from filter housing. Bad news, certainly. When I examined the location it appeared to be leaking through seam and gasket between the top and bottom halves of the housing. I disassembled the filter housing, looked at the top & bottom for any cracks. Finding none, I cleaned the gasket and 'seam' between top & bottom and reasssmbled the filter. Turned the pump back on and I have been running with no leak and no problem since then.

Apparently, the last guy to tighten the belt holding the filter housing together (me) did not tighten it sufficiently to prevent this kind of leak. Lesson learned.
Ah, failure to comply with the "German Torque" which is gutentight. ;)

Glad it worked out well with no harm done!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.