Burning through Chlorine

Msfish

Oct 29, 2018
Richmond,TX
Can you give me some thoughts on why my pool would be burning through chlorine?
My chemistry as of this am..
Ch 5.5
TA 80
pH 7.5
CYA 50
CC 0
I am using 10% bleach. Each morning I am having to add at least a quart to get the CH to around 7. It tends to drop to around 4-5 throughout the day.

It is warm where we live and my pool temp is 76’ at 8:30, so that may be the culprit. Or could it be the efficacy of the bleach. The date is only about 2 mths old. My pool passes all SLAM criteria.

I suspect your pool gets a mess of sunlight, right? Without algae chewing through chlorine sunlight would be a big reason.

Have you ever considered putting in a SWG so you don't have to be the one hauling jugs of chlorine home?

Maddie :flower:

Good to know this is normal! This is my first summer to start using bleach. I ran into issues with the tabs at the end of season last year and switched over.
Yes, my pool gets full sun almost all day.

I would like a SWG, but when I mentioned it to hubby, he was not interested because of the expense. He has nothing to do with the pool except enjoy it.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Howdy neighbor! Yeah looks normal to me. I lose about 2 ppm a day right now. If you are getting full sun it may be closer to 3/4. Yeah I’d be stashing money away and getting that SWG. I’d rather saw my arm off than not have an SWG here in Sugar Land.

MsFish - I go through 1 or 2ppm daily here in Miami, and sometimes a bit more. I've come to learn that chlorine is consumed hourly by the sun or algae; it's a fact that must be accepted. If the algae is under control, then the bright star up in the sky is to blame. Don't forget tonight's super moon, btw...

The Woodlands here...I am going through 5 cups a day of 10% and I'm probably gonna have to up it some because it's gone by the afternoon (I am adding the night before and testing in the morning). I get full sun all day as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.