Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Not my pool. I was talking to my neighbor behind my house (our backyards meet). He was pointing out a series of holes in his cover. He said it was due to the sun reflecting off his new windows on his house. I thought it was kind of weird since it was a series of holes about 6" apart in a perfectly straight line. There were two lines of holes. There were about 10 holes in each line.

Not my pool. I was talking to my neighbor behind my house (our backyards meet). He was pointing out a series of holes in his cover. He said it was due to the sun reflecting off his new windows on his house. I thought it was kind of weird since it was a series of holes about 6" apart in a perfectly straight line. There were two lines of holes. There were about 10 holes in each line.
Not entirely impossible but lots of other more plausible explanations are available. Since the sun doesn’t sit in the same place in the sky, it would be odd to see holes in a single location popping up because of that.

Reactions: Newdude
Not entirely impossible but lots of other more plausible explanations are available. Since the sun doesn’t sit in the same place in the sky, it would be odd to see holes in a single location popping up because of that.

That's what I found odd. If it is the sun, it could be that each dot represent one certain day where the angel is just right to reflect the light. The straight line was about at about a 45 degree angle to the house. Maybe it is a result of the sun's position changing in the sky as the earth orientation to the sun changes. I didn't ask if this occurred in the fall or this spring. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can take a photo and post it up for others to speculate on the cause.

Another reason I wasn't sure of his explanation was that his windows were replaced about 4 years ago. Why now? Now as I type this, there was one change since last year. I had two trees removed between our houses. It could be the trees blocked the sun at the angle where the damage is occurring.

Possible …. But yeah, perfectly spaced holes, sounds a bit dodgy to me. We use a lot of low-e glass in AZ and you actually need the glass to bow outwards ever so slightly to avoid creating focal points. I’ve walked in front of windows that have the wrong curvature and there’s definitely a point in space where you can “feel the burn”. Kind of neat … that is, until it accidentally burns out your retina … then it’s not so neat.

I’ve heard of a hotel in Vegas (I think) that had to redesign some parts of the pool area because guests were getting burned from the window reflections. So not totally outrageous.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.