Bulk Sodium Hypochlorite vs Calcium Hypochlorite

DerekP

Jun 18, 2019
Fletcher, NC
I'm a winemaker by trade and am used to buying chems in bulk. In fact I have soda ash in house that I've used effectively to adjust pH. I just joined here and received invaluable info to my newbie posts. I'm waiting on my TF-100xl test kit and as suggested on the forum I loaded up on some Walmart Great Value low splash bleach (6% active Sodium Hypochlorite ) at $2.64/gal or a little over 2 cents/oz. It seems like that is the most economical way to go.

I have a per ounce analysis below but my main question is should I be looking for Calcium Hypochlorite to help maintain calcium induced pool hardness for my vinyl pool? All the pool suppliers sell bulk Cal-Hypo but chem suppliers I can get Sod-Hypo that is in the Walmart Great Value low splash bleach. Does it make a difference?

Second question - Has anyone found a source of bulk Sod/Cal Hypochlorite that is less expensive than about $2.70/gal of bleach?

I found liquid Sodium Hypochlorite here in a 5 gal pail for $120 at 12.5% active Sod-Hypo. This is about 19 cents/oz. Even though it's twice as a concentrated it's more expensive... hmmm

Then there is Calcium Hypochlorite from pool suppliers like this one. A 50 lb bucket is 800 ounces for $120 call it, so 15 cents/oz. They say 2 oz will add 1 ppm per 10,000 gals. If I need to add 2 ounces that's like adding a gal of Great Value. If it's 5 oz then it's $5.40/day. So not more economical.

Great Value low splash bleach
That will foam up in your pool. Only plain bleach or liquid chlorine. Walmart carries Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid, 10%.

As far as Cal Hypo, depends on your calcium hardness levels.

Reactions: DerekP
Use PoolMath Effects of Adding Chemicals to see what each amount adds FC to your pool.

The 73% Cal Hypo needs ~7 oz to add 1 ppm FC to your pool volume. It will add 0.7 ppm CH at the same time.

$120 for 5 gal of 12.5% Sodium Hypochlorate? I can buy (4) 1-gallon jugs at our pool store for $14.50. That seems ludicrously expensive.

I found liquid Sodium Hypochlorite here in a 5 gal pail for $120 at 12.5% active Sod-Hypo. This is about 19 cents/oz. Even though it's twice as a concentrated it's more expensive... hmmm
19 cents /oz would be a great price if it was an ounce of sodium hypochlorite but what you have priced out is an ounce of 87.5% water and 12.5% of sodium hypochlorite. To get the amount of sodium hypochlorite in that 5 gallon pail you need to multiply the total amount of ounces (640 oz) by 12.5% which is 80 ounces. So the actual price of an ounce of sodium chloride is $120 divided by 80 which ends up being a $1.50.

Do you mind sharing your source? Thanks in advance.
I contacted the pressure washing companies in town, and asked them where they get their bleach from.
I did mention that I was looking for it to use in my pool so they didn't think that I was setting up shop to go into competition with them.
:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I JUST helped them load the newest barrel of bleach into my truck...
The price is now $148.50 for a 55gal drum!! :kim:
Just curious:

1) How long does 55 gallons last you?
2) Where do you store the barrel?
3) What's the 'born on' date of that barrel?
4) Any freshness issues when you get down to that last several gallons?

I was thinking I might have overdone it when I bought 24 gallons of fresh 10% (21 of those 24 filled in June '19, the other three on May 31, 2019) over the last two weekends. I am storing in indoors in climate controlled conditions, though -- that should work in my favor. My pool is slighly less than 1/4 the volume of yours.

Just curious:

1) How long does 55 gallons last you?
2) Where do you store the barrel?
3) What's the 'born on' date of that barrel?
4) Any freshness issues when you get down to that last several gallons?

I was thinking I might have overdone it when I bought 24 gallons of fresh 10% (21 of those 24 filled in June '19, the other three on May 31, 2019) over the last two weekends. I am storing in indoors in climate controlled conditions, though -- that should work in my favor. My pool is slighly less than 1/4 the volume of yours.

A barrel lasts me a year. (I will be opening the pool with this same barrel next year)
I have a barrel buried into the ground beside my equipment pad that I siphon the new one into when I refill. I built an insulated cover for it.
When I get it it is less than a week old.
I use a Stenner pump, and adjust the dosing to give my pool what it needs as time goes by. I test at least 2x/week, and don't have a problem.
Even at the end of the old barrel, it remains stronger than what is available in the laundry dept of WalMart. (We use it for household cleaning as well).

This is what I had 2 years ago... I will take updated pictures this year, and post them for you as soon as I can.

I am curious about what is preventing the chlorine levels of your bleach from dropping as fast as it would, say, it were stored in gallon jugs left outdoors on a concrete patio in full sun. Having that barrel buried (assuming in mud/dirt, not in concrete) will keep the bleach much cooler than if left in the open 90-something degree air.

So, you've noticed that the sodium hypochlorite percentage in that buried barrel does drop after a year, but not down from from 12.5% to, say, 3% ... more like from 12.5% to 9% or 10% or something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.