Built-In Spa Finish - Cleaning surface

4u2nv6

Aug 27, 2018
Matawan
Hey all,

I successfully opened up my pool for the first time and everything cleared up great after just a few days. My only problem is the built-in spa which looks terrible right now with stains. I have attached a photo and curious what is the best way to clear this up -- is it going the acid route and brushing?

The company also did a terrible patch job in the lower right corner and I'm curious if there are any recommendations to make that look better.

Appreciate any help and advice - thank you

spa.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

That just looks like worn plaster. I would not do an acid wash on worn plaster like that as it will just further remove plaster that you don't have and hasten the need for a plaster job.

It is cosmetic. I would leave it as is. Get water in the pool/spa with a good chlorine level and see what a chlorine bath does. And start saving up for a new plaster job.

Thanks for welcome!

Unfortunately it is only 2 year old plaster I had the pool built. The water has been cleared up and running pretty steady for 2+ weeks now. Maybe it was just a bad plaster job to start?

Is the bottom of the spa surface rough?

If it is smooth it could be metal staining. What chemicals did you use in the pool the last 2 years?

It is a salt water pool so no chemicals the first year. The 2nd year it was a rough surface and the PB came out, drained the spa, applied something (I am assuming acid) and scrubbed it. It got smooth after that.

3rd year is what you see in the image and yes the surface is rough to the touch.

Were you checking your water balance and CSI?

Instead of acid I think you should wet sand it with 80 or 100 grit wet&dry sandpaper to smooth it out. It is more work but less damaging on your plaster.

@onBalance thoughts on this 2 year old spa floor?

Sounds like I have weekend plans then! What's the recommended procedure for sanding? Since it is a generally small area, drain the spa and tackle it with a block sander (80-100 grit) or do I need a rotary or polisher power tool?

Thanks for the insight.

A power tool may cover the flat surfaces quickly. But you will also have a bunch of hand sanding where the power tool can’t get into.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.