West Palm Beach/Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
As I read these construction threads and I get a little new pool envy I thought of an idea that might be cool to implement. Right now I have to wheel my robot to the side of the pool and put it in. Then I wheel the caddy back plug it in and let it go. I am lazy so the robot stays in the pool for a couple of days but the caddy and the cord bug me and zen nature of looking at my pool.

So I am wondering about putting the power supply in a box somewhere. Connect it to my automation system. Run a cord under the deck and have a port pop our somewhere. Then I would screw the robot cord to the port and run the robot for as long as I like without seeing a cord on my deck. If I were building a new pool the port could be under the coping or in the tile with some sort of waterproof plug.

Anybody think about doing this, or what are the big drawbacks?

Interesting idea and good on you for thinking ahead of a pool build. Your robot concerns are non-issues for me as it is only in use once a week on average. I also remove, clean and store my bot after every run. Now having a custom bot storage closet with GFI outlet near the pool and paired with a cleanup area with hose bib and floor drain is gold.

Reactions: BlackBeard54
When we buried the over head power my electrician said to bury a 1 1/4 pvc for future use.

I pulled a 20 amp circuit and have 4 outlets and a GFCI breaker, now the robot control hangs on the fence near the back of the pool.
I also have my sump pump powered there as well!!!
Love it!!

John

Last edited:
I've always thought it would be nice to have a robot that could launch itself, go in the pool, clean in, climb out of the pool, then return to it's caddy. Should not technically be too hard to design.

I've always thought it would be nice to have a robot that could launch itself, go in the pool, clean in, climb out of the pool, then return to it's caddy. Should not technically be too hard to design.
I think I saw that movie

Poolbot begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self aware at 2:14 am Eastern time November 22nd 2019. In a panic they try to pull the plug......

• Haha
Reactions: PoolGate
Well, you're looking at 24v DC for the robot. Not sure what issues you would come up against with water infiltration (there's no such thing as a waterproof connector).

Well ideally I would like something in the tiles, above the waterline, but under the coping. I realize that has the highest degree of risk. Next best would be some form of connector flat on the deck so you would see a little bit of cable. The big key is how do you make it serviceable so that when it does eventually fail it is easy to replace.

It just seems like a weak link now. We build these backyard paradises where everything is clean and integrated but when I have to run my robot it is a bit of an eyesore.

As I read these construction threads and I get a little new pool envy I thought of an idea that might be cool to implement. Right now I have to wheel my robot to the side of the pool and put it in. Then I wheel the caddy back plug it in and let it go. I am lazy so the robot stays in the pool for a couple of days but the caddy and the cord bug me and zen nature of looking at my pool.

So I am wondering about putting the power supply in a box somewhere. Connect it to my automation system. Run a cord under the deck and have a port pop our somewhere. Then I would screw the robot cord to the port and run the robot for as long as I like without seeing a cord on my deck. If I were building a new pool the port could be under the coping or in the tile with some sort of waterproof plug.

Anybody think about doing this, or what are the big drawbacks?

Just wait a few years until battery tech advances allow for a battery operated robot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.