Built a Solar Cover Reel

afrancis

Oct 13, 2020
Fort Myers
I have a woodshop in the garage, and decided to try my hand at making a solar cover reel. I had quite a bit of red oak, and hard maple that I used for this project. I did put on a water sealing protecting layer to help protect from moisture, but will be putting on a cover on the top/sides to prevent the bushings and bearings from sunlight and direct contact with water.

I can operate this solar cover reel with 1 person effortlessly, and doesn't fall over when reeling or pulling the cover over the pool.

I didn't have any plans, but would be happy to discuss the project with anyone if you have questions.

8AAD221E-9D76-4A8B-83EC-236D6709DC58.jpeg

9A1F0132-B47C-4ACF-9447-403866455F43.jpeg

C0B58968-8676-4976-9484-A9F454696F49.jpeg

C63B9D1A-7CFE-4AC3-8650-1757010C0D5E.jpeg

FEECC4D0-3460-43F3-AD14-6FC28529B869.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s fantastic !!! You greatly improved the look of the typical eyesore reel.

Nice woodworking. How long do you think it will last? I am retiring my current roller this fall after 14 years of use.

A: Thank you!! I think it will last a long time, as long as I keep water/UV protective finish on it. I plan to refinish it in 6 months if the finish starts to wear away. If not, I will do it annually. I can replace the bearing/bushing, hand crank, or other components as needed.

Thanks Newdude. I appreciate the comment!

Reactions: Newdude
Can it be operated with one hand? If not, did you look at somehow putting a handle on the end of the current one to make winding up the cover easier?
Yes, it can be operated with one hand. I thought the longer handle would make getting leverage easier in the instance of resistance but I haven't encountered that yet. The reel rolls so smooth that I can grab one corner of the cover, and extend it the length of the pool without needing to get inside of it.

If it becomes more difficult, I can add a handle on the other side. I don't think it will be necessary though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.