Building in pool table or Bar stools

This question is to anyone who has had a in pool table or bar stool installed as a component of their build.

I had planned on adding a small island/table on my Sun shelf. The issue is the builder says he will have to pour it after the shell is shot (gunite). Is this the normal process? I thought it would go in during gunite. Is there any issue with doing it afterwards?

Im hoping anyone who has had a table or bar stools installed can chime in about the installation process.

Thanks everyone!

Oh, ha ha, I read pool table, not pool table. I was picturing you standing on the Sun shelf with pool cues and chalk and shooting a round with your friends! Unless that's what you meant!! And that would be the coolest "pool" table ever!!! (Come on, I dare ya!!) ;)

Oh, ha ha, I read pool table, not pool table. I was picturing you standing on the Sun shelf with pool cues and chalk and shooting a round with your friends! Unless that's what you meant!! And that would be the coolest "pool" table ever!!! (Come on, I dare ya!!) ;)

Doh! Thanks for this post I was thinking exactly the same thing!

First off... nice design! Are you going to have that white coping? Very distinctive. Love it!

I got into a thread a while back about tables in pools, how to support them, etc. A concern was the diameter of the pedestal, and how that would hold up over time. People leaning on it, kids (and adult kids) climbing and jumping off it. What would happen if the gunite pedestal cracked/came loose/etc. And then there was the cleaning-around-it issues.

One idea that was interesting was to make it removable. Either have it free standing, so you could move it around or take it out altogether, or to put in a sleeve so that the pedestal was just a pole that could be slid out. There were discussions about stability.

Some things to think about... I thought the flexibility of a removable table was a good idea...

I like the idea about being able to remove it. My issue is we have already started construction. Would removing the table (making it not attached) from the pool cause any issues with the permit? since the design currently shows the table as a feature of the pool. Also if it does change the design I would suspect the builder will want more money to change the design. what are your thoughts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the idea about being able to remove it. My issue is we have already started construction. Would removing the table (making it not attached) from the pool cause any issues with the permit? since the design currently shows the table as a feature of the pool. Also if it does change the design I would suspect the builder will want more money to change the design. what are your thoughts.

I'd be surprised if an inspector would even notice. He'd be looking for specific things about the rebar and gunite depth, and all else. Not that your design was exactly as submitted. But that's easy enough to determine for sure. Quick call to the local building/planning dept, or the PB.

And I would think that eliminating the table altogether (for a free-standing one you add later), or slipping in a proper sleeve, would be substantially less time and materials than building that table. I'd expect a refund before a price increase. Then you go out and locate the table and the PB can plan around it.

Here's the thread I was thinking of. Some of its links are dead now. I glanced at it. Boy, I went on and on about it over there, as I tend to do! (Had to beat others to it.) ;)

Built in Table

That thread never resolved, I see, so I don't know what the guy ended up doing.

I have a table in my pool and they shot it all at the same time they shot the shell. I love the table, we use it a lot, the thing I hate is my robot manages to get under it and gets stuck every time.

Yep, that's the cleaning issue. Or even manually brushing around it, up the pedestal, under the table, etc. I love the table idea. But I'm too lazy to want to deal with a permanent one.

What's the plan, to put chairs around it, to sit at it on the sun shelf? Or just sit directly on the shelf? If chairs, which will be free-standing, why not a free-standing table, too? No cleaning issues. Pull it out for the off-season. Replace it as needed. Move it around as needed? Etc. I think I concluded (for myself, anyway) the same thing in the other thread. Lovin' the idea of a table in a pool, but not the logistics of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.