Building a vertical kit for swg, weight concern.

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I am going to build a vertical kit for a swg (circupool). Just have two questions.

1) would sweep elbows be a better option than the direct 90 elbows for flow?

2) the vertical kit is suspended in the air... I am slightly concerned about weight. I will attach a photo. There anything I should be concerned about. Should I be considering some type of support.

The chlorinator is going, the check valve is going. The booster plumbing (the Tee), will be going and will be replaced by Two tees (one for the booster, a 2nd one for the muriatic acid line from the stenner pump, you can see it plumbed into the chlorinator). I have a few locations to plumb in the muriatic acid drip (I am considering at the top of the vertical kit after the flow switch

I added a brief diagram of what I expect the modification to look like.

pool area.jpg

updated pool modification.jpg

Last edited:
1) I wouldn't bother. The improvement is very small.

2) For the acid drip, are you using a peristaltic pump? That location is on the pressure side of the pump so you will need a pump for the acid. A passive "drip" system can only be done on the suction side of the pump.

It’s a stenner pump. I’ve had it plumbed this way for months with no issue. It’s been pushing chlorine into the pool.

It is not a passive system.

1) would sweep elbows be a better option than the direct 90 elbows for flow?
Sweeps for better flow if you have room and access to them.
2) the vertical kit is suspended in the air... I am slightly concerned about weight. I will attach a photo. There anything I should be concerned about. Should I be considering some type of support.
If you cannot support it off of the ground, you are right next to a wood wall, a simple angle bracket would suffice.

I am not sure I would use the fence for support. Wind and soil (read clay) movement could provide significant forces.

Can you not install it horizontally and maybe come past the current drop down into pool returns? 3 elbows either way.

Completed the setup. Feedback would be appreciated. Notes from install.

1) don’t glue at least one pivot joint per section. Had to add a coupling to turn the entire thing about 5 degrees.

2) measure. Don’t eyeball height. Was off about 2 inches.

3) hacksaw works wonders for small pieces

circupool.jpg

The sweep 90s that you used are dwv and not pressure rated. Only schedule 40 fittings should be used.

It will probably hold if you did the glue joints perfectly but it's not ideal.

... I am going to yell at that YouTube guy who screamed “sweep elbows” without saying “except that type”.

I am then going to yell at HD for putting two different types on the same shelf....

I’ll build it again when it explodes...

It does explain why those elbows were shallower.

Either way, if it leaks, repeat. It’s only 20 bucks worth of pipe.

Sorry. Just mad. I thought I was being smart by using sweep elbows and was sidelined by unlabeled pipe and my belief that it was all schedule 40

As I said before, those sweeps are going to have a very minimal impact on the head loss in the plumbing and you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Plus it is very hard to find schedule 40 sweeps in big box stores. You may have to go to an irrigation house or buy them online. Stick with the standard 90s

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know. Just you don’t know something is wrong until you do it and someone mentions it. Been planning this piping for a month and saw nothing about dwv. Just annoyed.

Least I can save most of it. Will chop off the elbows and install the flow valve I didn’t do. Probably rebuild the top now that I know what to do.

Space. I have two tees (one for booster, one for stenner pump), a flow valve (I want to know my gallons per minute), a flow switch and a swg. It was not going to all fit in my original run.

I'm about to plumb mine up and was wondering if there was a difference in the way it's mounted. My pentair manual recommended vertical.

I am no expert, but from what I can see.. no. I cannot find any information whether the water should flow 1 foot above or 20 feet above. The only mention of anything has to do with the flow switch and they recommend about a foot's worth of straight run before it (but Even Circupools vertical kit does not do a 1 foot run prior to the flow switch).

From what I can see, long as you plumb the flow switch nearby to the swg (I put it on the upslope, but you can do it on a straight run also). I considered doing it on the downslope but decided against it. Optimally I would have done a straight run but I don't have 2 feet of clearance and I need to plump two Tee's in.

Weight of the whole setup was not a issue once I put it together.

Too cold to replumb today so will do tomorrow.

The circupool manual says horizontal but then they sell a vertical kit for it (so it probably does not matter), and many swg I've seen are vertical.

If you google (circupool vertical kit), that will pretty much fit all setups. All it is is a Elbow, a coupling (the elbow you can find at lowes), the flow switch (which comes with the swg), 2 straight sections, 2 more elbows (a innie and a outie), and 1 elbow.

So 4 elbows at 3 bucks each, a coupling at 2 bucks and about 12 inches of sch40 pipe. You can build it for 17 bucks if you are ok with a saw. If not just pay the extra 10 and enjoy glue. Its not hard at all to put this stuff together (and I never put this stuff together). Now for my setup I have currently spent about 80 bucks (20 for the current failure, 33 for the new pipe to replace the current failure, 15 bucks for a hacksaw, 10 dollars on glue).

If it is JUST a vertical kit, go with that installation, you may have to cut a piece of pipe.

quite simply, it all wont fit (two tee's, a flow switch, a flow meter, and the swg won't all fit in that section of pipe horizontally.

chopped it all out, updated the fit. Decided the booster pump did not need to go at the top anymore, and found a good home for the flow switch.

Thoughts?

file.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.