Building a pool... Is there an obvious choice?

TyTyTy

Sep 2, 2022
CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone,
New to pools and this forum. I have the chance to pick whatever I want for pool equipment right now as I haven't ordered the pool yet but will be in the next week.

Can you all give me some thoughts on this?

1) pump - going with a Hayward vse super pump xe 1.65. I plan on having 4 deck jets, a bubbler for tanning ledge, and 2 skimmers. About 18K gallon pool. Is this enough? Upgrade the pump or think about getting another pump?

2) is there an obvious choice to the best type of filter? If someone can point me to a thread on here that talks about this in depth I would appreciate it.

3) any need to size up to 2 inch piping or can 1.5 work just as fine?

Sorry is these are newbie questions.... I appreciate all of your help.

Thank you.

Hey TY and Welcome !!!! Judging from the features you mentioned, I'm going to guess you are talking $75k+, possibly over 6 figures with decking. Don't skimp on the pump and plumbing to save $500. Get yourself a 3 or 2.7 HP variable speed pump (depending on the manufacturer) and use 2 inch plumbing. This will use less energy to move the same amount of water, and save some real coin in the long run.

The filter debate will rage on until the end of time. The 'least' filtering model (sand) won our clarity contest in the picture thread a few months back. That's really all you need to know........ a sand filter won the clarity contest on a forum full of (rabid) pool enthusiasts. This wasnt amateur hour at the local comedy club. So the other 2 filters have bragging rights that can't be seen with the naked eye. The way I see it, all 3 filters trap the crud from your yard. (Pollen, dust, etc) That crud traps more crud and finer crud than the filter can catch in the first place. So if you really think it through, your yard will decide how finely your filter filters, regardless of which style you chose.

I happen to be a cartridge guy but I will high five you if you get any filter in a large capacity. The bigger the filter, the longer you go between cleanings. Nothing more, norhing less. But there is volumes of bogus literature out there just like anything else. Again, don't let a few hundred dollars affect the backbone of your pool operation. The slightly more expensive model will pay you back with less maintenance, season after season. 18k gallons wouldn't need the biggest model, but the 2nd to biggest model would be qreat.

The winner, and 2 honorable mention sand filter pools.

People can pat their style on the back all they want. If it helps them sleep at night, I'll even smile and nod. But I really don't want to hear it. Sand does just fine. (and I'm not a sand guy, but fair is fair)

PXL_20220603_190319177_2.jpg

5FA1B00F-8DCB-4228-AD73-1BF508DDBC7E.jpeg

Pool Float.jpg

Ty,

Welcome to tfp! Here are my thoughts on your questions,

1. Your pump size should be based on hydraulic calculations performed by your Builder for your pool with your specific features. These calculations should consider things like required pressure and flow rate for your features and pool operation. They should also optimize energy consumption. All that said most pool builders seem to oversize the pump. I have seen a pump your horsepower work for pools your size but I think the question is a little bit more complicated than minimum horsepower for pool capacity.
  2. @Newdude hit the nail on the head for the filter. There are three major types of filters and they all work if they're sized right. I prefer cartridge for its simplicity and ease of maintenance. But there are experts that prefer sand and de and cartridge. So like many choices with your pool it really comes down to your preferences. But regardless of your preference you need to make sure that filter is sized properly. Filter sizing is a little difficult for a pool because it depends on the level of contamination and the particle size distribution and other design basis information people just don't have. So the default solution is generally to buy the biggest filter you can. It's not a huge component of your cost and even if it is oversized it won't hurt your pool operation. It will generally just reduce the frequency for required cleaning.
  3. The pipe size answer is similar to my response for question 1. Some pool builders actually do these calculations for every pool and can easily give you the answer if you ask them. Unfortunately some Builders also just use a standard design so they don't have the capability to answer the question properly. In Florida and I'm sure most States the Builder is required to submit hydraulic calculations as a part of the application process. So this gives you a level of assurance the pipe size is adequate and complies with accepted guidelines. For my previous pool the about 2/3 your size all pipe was 2 in minimum. This was probably oversized in several areas but I don't think there's a lot of downside to oversizing the piping other than The Upfront cost.
  4. An important item that you have not asked about is the contract terms and conditions. I would look at them closely and if you have any questions post the terms and conditions here for input. Your contract terms and conditions can be as important or even more important then the design parameters you have asked about.
I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.