Bugs in Pool_ water boatmen?

Maintaining your FC at the proper [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] levels should discourage the little bugs from hanging around the pool because properly chlorinated water removes their food and tends to kill them.

We never recommend that you "shock" your pool haphazardly. If you think you have an algae issue then you should do anOvernight Chlorine Loss Test followed by a SLAM Process if you need it.

Flamethrower....epic. i like it. Although, probably wont use it on the pool bugs, but it could have many other useful uses! lol

I don't have an algea issue, my pool is 20x40, rather large. there is a lot of water, so i dunno. I'll check the SLAM process and see if it works.

appreciate the feedback!
Cheers

Another trick if you are comfortable with it is to add borates to the water if the bugs are that persistent and proper FC levels don't keep them away.

Primarily borates (borax) are used to stabilize pH, this helps to reduce scaling potential of the water by fighting rapid changes in pH.

A side benefit to borates is that it lowers the surface tension of the water slightly which makes it much harder for those water bugs to float about like they do. Borax is also what is most commonly used chemical for the control of ants. The results of that being that insects who drink your pool water tend not to stay around for long. This is also a problem for pets, dogs in particular, if you have any that like to hang out in or around your pool.

The only way to remove borates from the water just like CYA is to changes the water.

This is the tread that talks about how and why to use borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.