Silver Supporter
Aug 5, 2020
Katy
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Tonight was the first time using my pool lights and it was nice during dusk but the second the sun set, it was bugs swarming in right away. I have led lights in the pool. Is there anyway to avoid this or is this par for the course with lights in a pool at night?

Bugs are attracted to lights that's for sure. Perhaps change to a different color if you can? That might help.
I will give that a try. My skimmer socks this morning was covered with them. It’s crazy for fast they swarm the water. I had tiki torches going too. Will try another color and see if that helps

When we first got our pool, we thought swimming at night with the light was cool,,,, and like you the bugs came in droves, but do you know what's worse than bugs,,, bats. The bats came after the bugs and it was a nightmare. We had to change our night swimming, we turn on the light, to make sure we are the only ones in the pool, then we turn the light off,,,, way fewer bugs, and no bats.

• Haha
Reactions: livinwell
When we first got our pool, we thought swimming at night with the light was cool,,,, and like you the bugs came in droves, but do you know what's worse than bugs,,, bats. The bats came after the bugs and it was a nightmare. We had to change our night swimming, we turn on the light, to make sure we are the only ones in the pool, then we turn the light off,,,, way fewer bugs, and no bats.
Liked "to make sure we are the only ones in the pool" :)....now that made me laugh

• Haha
Reactions: mknauss
Citronella plants all around the pool stopped pretty much anything that flew. Without the bugs the bats didn't dive bomb us to get the mosquitoes and noseeums 2 ft over our heads. No matter how many times it happened, and I knew why and that they were *NOT* coming for me........ it was still pretty creepy. They just fly so unnatural looking with all the jerky movements.

Anywho I was pretty against trying the plants because 9000 Citronella scented things were never worth a darn prior, but the plants themselves were AMAZING.

Reactions: drsipe
Citronella plants all around the pool stopped pretty much anything that flew. Without the bugs the bats didn't dive bomb us to get the mosquitoes and noseeums 2 ft over our heads. No matter how many times it happened, and I knew why and that they were *NOT* coming for me........ it was still pretty creepy. They just fly so unnatural looking with all the jerky movements.

Anywho I was pretty against trying the plants because 9000 Citronella scented things were never worth a darn prior, but the plants themselves were AMAZING.
Dude, how many plants are we talking here?

Dude, how many plants are we talking here?
I planted 4. 2 each at the corners we hung out at. Having such good luck with them I’ll gladly plant 6 or 8 next year. The small plants which grew fairly big were cheap at about $15 each.

I will add that bats skim our pool for water, not for bugs. They are thirsty after hanging out all day under our neighbor's metal roof in the hot Carolina sun. They skim again at dusk for that final drink before going back in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We tried one night swim with our new pool this summer (incandescent light) and were swarmed by bugs too so haven't tried it a second time. I might look into citronella plants for next summer too. Thanks Newdude!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.