DIYLinerPool

Sep 28, 2020
Chicago (West Suburbs), IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All - recently installed an inground 32 x 16 vinyl liner pool. Never had a pool before, I seemed to be losing water faster than I would have expected so I did a bucket test. 2 tests each 24 hours, one pump on one pump off. Water loss appears to be the same in both instances - bucket lost about 1/4" in 24 hours, pool lost about 1/2" (1/4" more lost in pool).

Does this definitely point to some sort of leak? It has been windy and the temp has been dropping a lot at night (about 30 degrees cooler at night than during the day). Wonder if the greater surface area of the pool could cause more loss than bucket? I am pretty confident if there is a leak it wouldn't be in the plumbing, we pressure tested before and after backfilling pool, lines held pressure for several hours. Trying to use die around fittings (skimmer/returns/main drains) but not really finding much....

When it is windy, the bucket tests are less definitive. However, it is double so maybe it is. Is the lip of the bucket close to the water surface? If not, can you lower it one step without the top going under water?

When it is windy, the bucket tests are less definitive. However, it is double so maybe it is. Is the lip of the bucket close to the water surface? If not, can you lower it one step without the top going under water?
Thanks - I have it on the first step, if I lower it to the 2nd step its too deep for the 5 gallon bucket, the top would be about level with the water surface. I guess I could put it on a couple bricks or something. Would not having the top close to the water surface account for a 1/4" difference though?

The bucket lip shields the water from the wind so it will definitely affect the results. Guessing, I would say you have a leak but the closer the lip of the buck is to the water level the better.

The bucket lip shields the water from the wind so it will definitely affect the results. Guessing, I would say you have a leak but the closer the lip of the buck is to the water level the better.
Thanks - if the water loss is the same pump on and pump off doesn't that point to a potential leak in the liner or somewhere inside the pool?

I'll notice water loss overnight with the cover closed thats what started to make me suspect a leak
If noticeable with the cover closed, you very likely have a leak. What is the surface area of the pool? Need that to determine how much water, then how much per hour/minute.

If noticeable with the cover closed, you very likely have a leak. What is the surface area of the pool? Need that to determine how much water, then how much per hour/minute.
32x16, it lost a half inch with the cover open, it would be less than that with the cover closed. Maybe 1/4" with the cover closed?

32x16, it lost a half inch with the cover open, it would be less than that with the cover closed. Maybe 1/4" with the cover closed?
1/4" is about 80 gallons per day. ~3 gallons an hour.

You should be able to see that somewhere in your yard? I would take a good look around.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
1/4" is about 80 gallons per day. ~3 gallons an hour.

You should be able to see that somewhere in your yard? I would take a good look around.
I havent noticed anything around the yard, we have had barely any rain in my area too so I'd notice any wet areas pretty easily.

I actually just went down in the pool with googles and noticed a small crack on the seal ring of the main drain , looks like from being overtightened. I'm going to try replacing that, hoping its as easy as that fix!

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.