Bubbling Plaster

Mcb

Jan 3, 2018
Chino hills, CA
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my plaster. In the last several months I've noticed the plaster bubbling and then breaking. I've struggled with PH and ALK since adding swg. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the plaster. Both have been high... not sure where to start but I'm starting to worry.

Please post some pictures if you are able to get a decent photo. Is this just in 1 part of your pool or is it in multiple areas? When you say bubbling - you mean it forms a blister then pops? Can you squish it to feel fluid underneath? Or is just soft to the touch (mushy) and then breaking away leaving what looks like a pot mark? Looking at your Pool Math results your CSI is jumping all around and you have had high CH in addition to high TA but your CYA is also a little low for a SWG. Have your read this article?

Just read the article. Here are some pictures. Its like its brittle and crumbles. I noticed the first time earlier in the year but I thought it was cause my kids threw some rocks in the pool and that damaged it. The spa are has really gone south quick in the last 2 weeks.

Attachments

• 20200920_133215.jpg
    20200920_133215.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200920_133147.jpg
    20200920_133147.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 27
What is the history of your plaster? How old? First surface or has a second layer put on?

I'm not completely sure. I purchased the home 3 years ago. At that point I was told it was "redone" 10 years ago. The seller was an elderly lady in very poor health. It wasn't taken care of when we took when we purchased it.
Yep. I think a new plaster is in the future. Trying to patch it only delays the eventual need to replaster.

Age, bad water condition and possibly a bad installation. But ten years is not out of the norm. Mine failed with the same blisters at about six-years-old, which was premature, caused by previous home owner's pool guy's bungling of the pool and its chemistry. Yours sounds to be a similar story. Plaster can last anywhere from a few years to 20 or 30 or more. 10 to 15 is typical. If your pool was not well cared for, 10 was generous. As long as the pool is holding water, the blisters are only cosmetic, and you could live with them indefinitely, if you didn't mind them. Otherwise: full chip-out and a new finish (which could be some other, newer-type finish that will outlast plaster: pebble, quartz, etc., if you want to upgrade).

New plaster entails a pool plaster contractor that will come out and empty the pool (or direct you to do it). They send out a crew on day 1 and they'll chip out all your old plaster. Next day a second crew will come out and "spray" on the new plaster finish and trowel it smooth. Third day they'll come back and finish up the plaster and fill the pool. YMMV, but that's typical (if the edge tile or coping doesn't need any attention).

When I had mine redone, the contractor removed my main drains (at my request) and converted by straight-pipe returns to adjustable ones. You can do that and more. Change the color, of course. Remodel edge tile if you want to get into it. They can even do minor shape changes (adding a bench or sun shelf, reshaping stairs, adding hand rails, etc). Interview some contractors, ask about prices, finish options and all the other options. Just a matter of how much you want to spend.

If this is not your forever home, and you might move in 10 years or less, get plaster. It's the cheapest and is one of the nicer feeling finishes (smoothest). Don't get trapped by thinking a high-end finish will fetch you a better home-sale price, it won't. If this is your forever home, consider a longer lasting finish.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.