Gold Supporter
May 16, 2022
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FWIW, the shaft seal is on the pressure side of the pump so if that starts to leak, water would leak out and not air in. When there is an air leak, the usual suspects are the pump lid and suction side drain plug gasket. Those are on the suction side of the pump. Suction side valves can also be a source of air leaks.
I am facing the same problem as OP (bubbles from return jets, no bubbles in pump basket), though I have a different pump model. Here's what I have:

If I understand what you're saying, the only O-rings or gaskets that could result in a suction side leak are:
  • #25: Pump basket O-ring
  • #16: Drain plug
  • #28: Strainer to volute gasket
There appear to be no other seals on the suction side, though I am unsure about #14: Diffuser O-ring, which appears to be an internal seal.

Can you offer some guidance? Many thanks.

For the pump, suction side leaks will likely be either the pump basket or the drain plug. However, there can also be leaks before the pump such as unions and valves.

For the pump, suction side leaks will likely be either the pump basket or the drain plug. However, there can also be leaks before the pump such as unions and valves.
I have done the typical trouble shooting in these areas and gone union-by-union with Press&Seal. What confounds me is the absence of air or bubbles in the pump basket, even when I turn the pump on and off. And no significant amount of air evacuates from the filter when I open the air bleeder valve. The thread I replied and quoted above, which was then moved into this standalone thread, is the only other one I have found in this forum. So I am trying to figure if I need to take the pump apart and replace those seals. I'm just coming back from 2 months where the pool was drained for a remodel.

Do you have solar installed? Under the right conditions the VRV can leak air into the plumbing post filter.

Do you have solar installed? Under the right conditions the VRV can leak air into the plumbing post filter.
No solar. Pretty simple eqpt pad compared to what I often see from others on this forum. But it's old and was not well maintained by previous owners. That pad itself has also gone out of level due to settlement. I don't doubt there could be a leak - just a bit stupefied where it is.

Attachments

• PXL_20230407_135927134.jpg
    PXL_20230407_135927134.jpg
    792.7 KB · Views: 13
Any air leak on the suction side should be visible in the pump basket although sometimes the bubbles are small but then the air should still accumulate in the filter so venting would have air expelled.

Any air leak in the filter, with the pump off, should show up when opening the vent valve as well. It will also disappear over time with the pump running as all the air gets pushed out and no more gets sucked in.

Other than that and the solar issue, I can't think of anything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.