Bubbles in pump... bad news?

May 29, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hello,

I'm just getting to grips with a pool (which I didn't really want) that came attached to a house (that I did want).

I think I've got a leak between one of my skimmer baskets and my pump - was hoping to check my logic with the experienced members of the forum.

- I have two skimmers
- Each leads separately to a three-way valve leading to the pump.
- Normally I have no bubbles
- If I shut-off one of the skimmers, I get bubbles even though water level is fine. vacuum also won't work on this skimmer
- If I shut off the other skimmer, all is fine. No bubbles, vacuum works.

Since everything looks fine at the skimmer end, I am thinking that I must have a problem between the 'bad' skimmer and the pump. most of which is underground.

Please tell me I'm wrong and there is some fix that won't involve digging!

Thanks
M

M,

My first action would be to rebuild the three way valve... I agree with Dave, while it is possible to have an underground leak, it is unlikely. Based upon your troubleshooting, the most likely suspect is a leaky three way valve.

And even if it is not, it costs little to rebuild one and it will eliminate it as the cause...

If the "good" skimmer is close to the equipment pad, and the "bad" skimmer is further away, then the problem may simply be that it takes more effort to suck water from the distant skimmer. The harder it is to suck in the water, the more a little air leak will show up... so, the problem could still be at the pump end.. Makes sure the pump basket lid O-Ring is not damaged and is coated with pool lube...

Here is a link to the Pool School article on Suction side leaks... Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Thanks,

Jim R.

Could also be that the "bad" skimmer line is partially clogged.. Another thing I would do is to use a Drain King on the end of a garden hose and force water back from the pump end and out of the skimmer. Assuming there is a clog, you might have to alternate between the skimmer and pump, forcing water back and forth to try and break up the clog... A clogged skimmer line is much more likely than an broken one..

Thanks all for your responses.

I actually did read the article and check the pump prior to posting - I should have stated that (sorry). So the pump doesn't seem to be the ingress point.

It sounds like the best next step is the valve. So I will do a little research and update accordingly. I am currently in the middle of a SLAM, so for the time being I am not going do anything means taking my filter out of action. Might have to wait until the weekend.

btw not sure if pertinent, but there is a decent head of pressure at the pump, which is at leas 1.2m below water level. This is one of the reasons why I wasn't really thinking about the fact that (as Jimrahbe guessed) the "bad skimmer" is much further away from the pump. This also makes forcing water from pump back to skimmer quite tricky unfortunately. Clogging is a possibility for sure, lots of leaves in my garden and the prior owners didn't seem to care much for the pool (lots of missing tiles etc).

Thanks again
M

The trick I linked can be used while you're SLAMing, and can be used on your valves as well as your pump. Just FYI...

Positive thoughts ~~~~~~~~~ Positive thoughts ~~~~~~~~~ Positive thoughts ~~~~~~~~~

It's going to be a simple fix ~~~~~~~~~ It's going to be a simple fix ~~~~~~~~~ It's going to be a simple fix ~~~~~~~~~ ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.