tkbutler4

Jun 24, 2022
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m a swimmer. Why do I never see the lifeguards at my aquatic center brushing the walls? Is it really necessary if you maintain balanced levels all the time? How often is preferred and how often is like the bare minimum you can get by with as a really busy working person?

I’m a swimmer. Why do I never see the lifeguards at my aquatic center brushing the walls? Is it really necessary if you maintain balanced levels all the time? How often is preferred and how often is like the bare minimum you can get by with as a really busy working person?

They may have a robot that climbs the walls and brushes, and many of us who have similar robots don't ever brush the pool. Well, to be honest some of us still didn't brush often when we didn't have brushing robots yet :) . And yes, my experience is that with balanced water (especially FC maintained high enough) I didn't notice any issues after procrastinating brushing for weeks, then months at a time. But my plaster is old and somewhat stained already; that's not to say a different pool, different color/surface might not be different.

ETA: As husband of a park district manager, and father of a lifeguard, any cleaning/maintenance like that would likely be done by separate maintenance staff when the pool is closed. Lifeguards test the water every hour or so.

Most pools would have a service that comes in and maintains the pool. They are also probably doing the maintenance when you are not there. Like early morning prior to opening or later after closing. Way back in the day (over 40 years ago), my sister was a lifeguard at a pool and did perform testing, vacuuming, brushing, and general maintenance of the pool. When I had my first pool (gunite), I was religious about brushing once a week. Once I got a robot, I did not brush nearly as much as I should have. I now have a vinyl pool with a robot and I do not brush hardly at all, but probably should.

Our aquatic center has a fleet of very robust dolphins that do all the things (walls, floors, waterline) that are unleashed @ closing.
Perhaps yours does too, they are just in the equipment room out of view.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.