Brushing sides of pool, is it necessary?

Blake106

In The Industry
Jan 8, 2020
Hawaii
I was wondering if the cya chlorine ratio was constantly maintained if brushing the walls of the pool could be avoided and just vacuum bottom if there’s no algae growth. Is there another reason to brush besides prevent algae? Thanks.

I brush my walls just to help move the dirt and pollen. The robot climbs the walls and cleans them but in spring, it's not always enough to keep the dirt and pollen moving. And if you have any areas of low/poor circulation, brushing the walls can help move water in those areas and keep algae away. It doesn't have to be done every single but a good brushing now and then would do the pool some good.

I only brush the sides if I have visible algae or if it looks dirty. Even then, I generally let the chemicals and the robot do the work. In other words, I almost never brush the sides.

Algae can make a bio-film that protects itself from chlorine. Brushing disturbs that film to let the chlorine kill it. Maybe you’ll get it, maybe you won’t, but personally I don’t take that chance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.