Brown/Yellow sediment during start up of salt system

thegreater

May 24, 2020
Northern VA
Hi all, and let me start by thanking everyone for all the awesome advice posted to these forums. While we have never posted before, we've gleaned so much info that has reduced cost and helped us maintain our pool.

We have an Intex 24x12 above ground pool that we decided to shift to a saltwater system this year. Pool is full, and per the directions in the salt system manual we were to add 210 pounds of salt and 2.1 pounds of CYA to our 8400 gallons. I added the salt, making sure to dissolve it as it was added around the perimeter, then added the CYA in half pound increments using the sock method at the return discharge. Note that we have not yet turned on the salt system as the manual says we need to fully dissolve the salt for 24 hours prior (the pump has run for 18 so far).

This morning I awoke to small patches of yellow/brown particles at the pool seams or in clumps along the sides. I am assuming this is probably a result of so much CYA being introduced in a short period of time, but figured I'd check with the pros. I also feel pretty confident that the salt is dissolved and want to start the salt system's "boost" mode since the book says it needs to run for 8 times its normal run time...which is roughly 32 hours per their chart.

Am I right for assuming my sediment issue is a result of so much saturation, and do you think I can go ahead and start the boost to try and address it?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I did check the threads and saw others with this issue, but not necessarily during start up. Just want to be sure I haven't gone horribly wrong.

Welcome to the forum!
Can you post a full set of water chemistry test data from your own test kit?
Use liquid chlorine to raise your FC to target for the SWCG. Do not use the 'boost' process as you described. Use the SWCG to maintain your FC level.
What brand salt did you use? The discoloration sounds like iron staining.

Reactions: jedigrover
I doubt it was the CYA. I'd imagine it was the salt. "Clorox pool salt" perchance? Last year, Clorox "pool salt" left me a nasty yellow/brown iron stain on my plaster after minimal time in contact. Lots of folks had problems with iron contamination in their salt. They get it from different 3rd parties--look online and you'll see some stories about it...I'll be staying away from it from now on & back to using either Diamond Crystal water softener salt (blue bag) or Morton's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.