Brown water

Jena4

Jul 20, 2018
Lufkin, Texas
Hello TFP folks. New'ish pool owner here. We just bought a 'real pool' last April (2018) and I started using the TFP methods during an algae problem toward the end of the summer. I converted to bleach from pool store chemicals, and got the FAS-DPD chlorine test. The 1000GPH pump that our pool came with left much to be desired, and even after getting the CC to 0, the water was not sparkly or pretty. I tried and tried, but i don't run the pump 24 hours because someone is afraid it will blow up or break the pool or something while we are asleep.....also we had a terrible time keeping the pool covered this winter. Leaves and debris settled and rotted, turning the water brown and giving the water an odd smell.

So, last weekend i scooped all of the leaves and debris out. I dumped a lot of bleach into it and stirred it with the old pump last week , because, that smell! I ordered my current pump Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 2500GPH and I hooked it up yesterday. I let it run all day yesterday and today, changing filter every few hours (of course letting it rest all night) The water seems to be clearing up. I can easily see the bottom today. I'm hopeful the TFP methods along with the new pump will make this summer easier. But for now, I have brownish water with a smell that is mostly gone now. Here are my numbers:

Water temp = 69F
FC =8
CC=0
ph=7.2
TA=60
CH=0
CYA 0? it never got cloudy enough to cover the dot in the hth 6 way test)

1. Does anyone know much about the pump in my sig. specifically, the timer options. There are several options for 2 hours, 4 hours, etc...Is that x hours in a 24 hour cycle OR "on x hours, off x hours"? Building a case for running the pump overnight. Thanks, the directions weren't helpful here.
2. Can i ask for a suggestion on filter cartridges? The disposable ones are cheap enough, but they are a pain to clean, which im sure i shouldnt be doing and I'm wondering if they are adequate to filter smaller particles. I'd rather invest in some reusable filters.
3. Suggestions for covering AG pool next winter? I've tried to salvage the flimsy plastic tarp that came with the pool by hanging it over the swingset an sprayed it off with the waterhose, but i'm leaning more toward trashing it because it was a lot of work, and didn't help anything because of the wind rain and leaves combo.

Thanks in advance.
jennifer

Hi Jennifer and welcome! :wave: So there's a few things we need to emphasize:
1. Where in Texas ar you? Please add city to your location. It tells us a lot about your water conditions.
2. Are you on a well?
3. Algae means "SLAM" (link below in my sig).
4. To SLAM, you must have some CYA (stabilizer). SO if you are sure you are reading no CYA, use the Poolmath tool to add enough stabilizer for a goal of "30".
5. Once you do those things, increase the FC to "12" and do your best to maintain that 12 24/7 until you pass the SLAM criteria.
6. It's safe for the pump as long as you monitor the pressure and ensure the filter doesn't get clogged or lose water flow. You will need to rinse the cartridges fairly often as it collects the dead algae.

They key is to follow that SLAM page carefully. We can address the timer functions later. As for covers, I don't use one. Some like them, others refrain, but I'm sure you'll see more replies soon.

Hi and thanks for all of the information. I've added a nearby city, Lufkin, Tx but we are on a rural water supply, not well water.

So, I forgot to mention but I did the SLAM and got the algae under control to pass the overnight FC test last summer before we closed the pool. The water never got clear, I'm guessing because of the lousy pump? I occassionally added bleach to the pool over the winter (because the cover kept blowing off).

I do have some granular shock i could use to add CYA into the pool. I'm pretty confident with the low reading. Before I start up a SLAM, I have another question. Your advice about monitoring the pressure and water flow reminded me!

When I purchased the new pump, I didn't realize the old hoses were 1.25" and the new pump requires 1.5" hoses. I bought the Intex adapters to make the conversion, but I wonder if the decrease in flow will affect the pump negatively? The pool liner has the 1.25" connectors, so the intake and outlet are both choked down to 1.25" with the adapter I used. Thoughts, anyone? Is this an issue?

Thanks again,
jennifer

I don't think the difference in connectors will be an issue. It sounds as if either not all the algae was completely killed last summer, or somehow a new batch slipped in there before you closed. Either way, you'll need to SLAM. The problem with granular products is you would need a lot to reach the 30 ppm of CYA you need now. I would simply grab a bottle of stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid on the ingredients) and use the Poolmath tool to add the amount required. Then you'll know it's in for sure right away and you can SLAM at an FC of 12.
Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

You have a little bit of work on your hands being limited to intex stuff, but definitely doable.

Brush the pool, it will stir up things into the water that a little will get caught by the filter, and let it settle overnight to be vaccumed up in the morning.

It's fine to run the pump overnight or a normal pool, with this being a undersized filter on a slam I'd just let it settle overnight so you don't plug the filter.

Thank you for all of the advice. What kind of pump would be ideal for the 15'x48"round pool? I guess I just stayed with Intex because I thought it would be more "compatible" and the Amazon warehouse had a steal for the model I went with.
Of course, this being my "week off" work, I ended up working more overtime than I have in the past year! The pool has had zero attention all week!
We are still at a standoff regarding the pump running overnight, but I think we've settled on all day, with some filter checking happening in intervals. The filter definitely gets pretty gummed up in just a couple of hours. I'm rotating filters all day long today.
And of course, I've got more scrubbing and skimming to do now that the pool has had a week of being ignored. Fun times!
I'll start the slam as soon as I scoop out some more of the sweet gum balls and pollen pods and whatever else is in there....
I still have some of the granular shock from last year. As you can probably guess, i'm definitely on a strict budget regarding the pool so I'll use what I have and the pool math calculator and slowly add some of that to get the cya up this weekend and next week. The purchase of a pool was not exactly a unanimous decision. Hehe.. I'll slam the following week when my schedule slows down.
Hopefully I can make the water awesome before it's warm enough to enjoy! I'm stubborn. I will make it happen! Thanks ya'll!

Unfortunately you are in a tough spot. Can't start the SLAM until next week, and you probably have the factory (small) Intex filter (Type A, B or something). Those things are tiny. Honestly, if your pool was much smaller (3,000 gal), we treat it as a seasonal pool and suggest dumping. Not sure about the cost of water in your area, but when you "SLAM" (link below) it takes time (several days probably), consistent effort, and testing, not to mention a fair amount of bleach (chlorine) to keep killing the algae. You might consider weighing the option of dumping a good amount of water if it's more cost effective, then resuming the SLAM at fill-up which should save you some SLAM time. If you do chose that option, just don't drain the pool completely as you need some water (about 1-2 ft) to keep the pool walls and liner stable. But hey, it's an option if you need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.