Brown mess at opening... Newbie needing a little hand-holding

Haven't seen any replies to my previous posts... hoping you guys haven't washed your hands of me! :wave:

Have been adding bleach and checking chems... Here's where I'm at 10:00am this morning 6/4/15 (overcast day, not much sun... in the mid 60's)

Pool volume 12,000
FC = 10
CC = 0
pH = 7.0 (darker than 6.8 but lighter than 7.2, so I'm guessing it's in the middle)
TA = 60
CH = 100 (Poolmath shows a goal of 50 to 300... so me being at 100 should be fine)
CYA = 20 (this is where the dot completely disappears... but it does fade quite a bit at 30)
Cl, Br = 5, 10 (not very familiar as to what this is telling me, but the color was quite yellow)

I've put these numbers into pool math, based on their suggested goal levels (excluding FC which I'm putting at 12 for shock level)... it tells me I need the following:
36 oz. bleach @ 8.25%
28 oz. of borax to go from 7.0 to 7.5 (Poolmath goal listed at 7.5 to 7.8)
28 oz. of baking soda to bring TA from 60 to 70 (Poolmath goal listed at 70 to 90+)
16 oz. of stabilizer to bring CYA from 20 to 30 (Poolmath goal listed at 30 to 50)

I'm going to add the additional recommended bleach right now. Should I also add the Borax? Should I wait a bit? It seems the pH has slightly increased between my initial testing yesterday... and this morning (having added 173 oz. of bleach during that time)
Can I add everything at the same time, or is there a rule of thumb how things should go?
Are the goal numbers provided in Poolmath what I should aim for, and how do I know if I should be at the lower end or higher?
Taking into consideration that I'll be using my SWG once the SLAM process is successful, how do I factor that into what I'm currently doing?
My pool water feels soft/slippery... can't quite explain... like it has a bit of conditioner in it. Is that the CYA? Should I be concerned?

Off I go to add bleach and brush the liner... hoping to have your input when I return...;):stirpot:

Do not add anything other than bleach until you pass all SLAM criteria.

- - - Updated - - -

Also when did you add Stablizer last? It takes 1 week for the CYAto register completely. IF it has been over a week since you added it, you can add enough stablizer to get you to 30.

When I did my SLAM I went through 14 gallons of bleach in the 1st day and 50 gallons total over 8-9 days, just to give you an idea. I tested and added often and I also kept FC at a slightly higher level than calculated since my pool was so dark. Once I understood the process better, I NEVER let the FC drop below the goal FC. It did help my SLAM go a lot faster though. I have an 18,000 gallon pool with a DE filter. I also went through a lot of DE in those days, but I was adding too much in the beginning. I was backwashing 3-4 times a day on average.

Get ready to have a cart full and get all the crazy looks walking through the store!:cool:

I'm not very experienced with DE filters, so I've just been opening up the filter and cleaning the cartridge grid instead of just back washing. If I do the backwash, I'll need to add more DE, correct? If my precoat is 3.5 lbs, what do I add if I backwash? How often is too often to backwash? If you look at my previous post (bottom of page 2... Yes, this is a long thread) from yesterday, I provided links to pics of what my filter grid looked like when I opened it up. To me, it looked like the DE hadn't coated the way it should? Am I wrong on this? What would that mean? Shouldn't the DE be all over the grid? Now I have everything put back together, and have regenerated the filter twice today when psi increased by 20-25%... Which improved suction at skimmer, and outflow strength.
Still wondering if the filter is properly coated... only way to tell is open it up, and I don't want to do that yet.

I guess I was expecting to see a bit more clarity in the water, but still can't see any depth. Heading over to pick up another 6 gallons of bleach, and another box of DE as I probably have 6-8 lbs. on hand.
Should I stick with the 8.25% bleach from Walmart ($2.94 per 121 oz), or go with the 12% liquid chlorine from BJs ($13.99 for a case of 4)? I kept saying stick with the regular bleach thinking I may end up with left over that I can use in laundry... But at this rate, the stronger one might be a better buy. Just wanted to see what others have done.

It is almost like you are starting over since you were not able to be there for that little while. It is going to take time and bleach. Not sure which one it will take more of..........

You can do it! Just stick with it!

Kim

During a SLAM you only need to be concerned about your FC and CC levels. The pH reading isn't accurate with a FC over 10, so no point in even testing of trying to correct. You have already added CYA to get to 30, so don't waste time and reagent testing that, just assume the 30 for calculating your required FC

Once you are through with the SLAM, you will test and rebalance. Once you start using the SWG, you will find that you want your TA to stay on the low side and that the SWG causes the pH to rise (so you will be adding acid to lower, not borax to raise pH). There are reasons we say for now just watch the FC and CC.

It sounds like you need to read the section in pool school on DE filters. When you open and clean all the DE out of the filter it must be recharged with the full quantity of DE specified on the filter. If you backwash, but don't open and fully clean the grids, you should use 80% of the specified quantity to recharge the DE, as this doesn't get all the old DE out of the filter. I don't understand what you have been doing to "regenerate " if you aren't adding DE.

Noted. I will only check the FC and CC going forward until resolved. I'll read the section on DE again. I know once I open and clean, I recharge using the full amount. I was just confused about how the grid looked when I opened it. I thought the DE would at least be somewhat uniformly be on all parts of the grids. I'm sure I'm overthinking this. I'll try back washing as this is another aspect I need to get comfortable with.
You'd think I'm doing surgery... I get so worried I may do something wrong. :eek:
Thanks for the advice. Will post results again later.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've only opened my DE once for cleaning so far, but it was all clumped up in weird ways. Maybe the backwash had moved stuff around, maybe the initial coat was just off.
When I readded the complete amount this time, I mixed it up into a slurry first in a big plastic tub. So, we'll see in 9 months if that worked any better.

Current results...
FC = 13.5
CC = 1
I regenerated the filter again... Third time today (precoat psi was 18, I regenerated at 22 psi each time)... Gives a better suction at skimmer and better return.
Should I continue to regenerate as often as needed when it seems that suction is diminishing?
Should I reopen and clean the grids again... And precoat?
Should I backwash and just add 80% more DE?
My pool water is still a shade of green & cloudy... I'm wondering if the filtering is possibly a problem? Could the filter need a deeper cleaning than hosing it off, like with muriatic acid? When I cleaned it yesterday, it looked pretty clean.
Am I expecting too much, too soon?
Should I continue to check my FC into the night?

Each time your filter pressure rises to 25% more than the clean pressure you need to back flush and recharge the filter. You can use either skimmer socks (you can buy at any pool store) or knee-high nylons in the skimmer to help get some of the gunk out before it goes to the filter.

I'm falling asleep right now but I just wanted to post this for you before falling asleep. My SLAM thread was about 13-15 pages long with tons and tons, did I say tons, of frustration from me. I felt very defeated a number of times. I will post more tomorrow and continue to help you out with my experiences. All I can say right now is to not worry about a thing. It will ALL come together in the end. You will figure it out and will be answering questions instead of asking them. Even laughing at your friends or acquaintances when they talk about pool guys coming out to their house. Just keep the FC level at SLAM level and I can talk to you more tomorrow about your filter. Sorry I'm sleepy. I'll be on tomorrow. I have some ideas for you to try or some things to think about. However you want to take it.
Here's my pool. I feel your pain right now. TRUST me.
f8a9f286cb57e186d3b9f8ed680faab7.jpg

Thank you guys... It always helps to be cheered on. I appreciate the advice, and will definitely hang in there. Defeat is not my middle name. Just frustration in the "not knowing" that gets me.
My results...
FC = 11
CC = 0.5
Based on these, Poolmath says to add 18 oz. of bleach, so that's what I'll do now. Still wondering about the filter. Just regenerated again. Going to get some knee high stocking to use on the skimmer basket to see how much that helps. I may still open up the filter and do another full cleaning and start fresh. Will also wait to see what you guys suggest.

Test results at 12:45 pm...
FC = 13
CC = 0

Regenerated filter again...
Skimmed some more leaves out (I swear my neighbor must be dumping them in during the night:mad:)
Stocked up on DE, and bleach. Just ordered a refill for my FAS/DPD test kit. Don't want to run out of those.
Bought some knee highs. Going to cover the skimmer basket. Should have done this much sooner!
What to do now!? What else can I do?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm falling asleep right now but I just wanted to post this for you before falling asleep. My SLAM thread was about 13-15 pages long with tons and tons, did I say tons, of frustration from me. I felt very defeated a number of times. I will post more tomorrow and continue to help you out with my experiences. All I can say right now is to not worry about a thing. It will ALL come together in the end. You will figure it out and will be answering questions instead of asking them. Even laughing at your friends or acquaintances when they talk about pool guys coming out to their house. Just keep the FC level at SLAM level and I can talk to you more tomorrow about your filter. Sorry I'm sleepy. I'll be on tomorrow. I have some ideas for you to try or some things to think about. However you want to take it.
Here's my pool. I feel your pain right now. TRUST me.
f8a9f286cb57e186d3b9f8ed680faab7.jpg

Hey there ..trizzle
My pool is currently at your picture #4 stage... Some shade of Caribbean green but not as inviting :)
Thanks for sharing the pics. It helps... Along with the many others that have posted. Just wanted to let you all know your posts don't go on deaf ears! :lovetfp::rockon:

It's now 3:50 and my results are as follows:
FC = 10
CC = 0
So I've lost 3ppm in three hours
I'll be adding 36 oz. of bleach per Poolmath
I'll keep sweeping, brushing, scooping out
Started using knee high in skimmer... Have to change it out every 30 minutes it gets so caked up. Also noticed that my fully primed pump is now starting to show a pocket of air that progressively gets larger the longer I used the stocking in skimmer basket. Since I'm catching all this debris, I'll continue to stand by the pump and filter and work through it. Would rather fish out as much algae as possible before opening up the filter for what would be the third time to clean and precoat.
Anyone think I should be adding more bleach? Is the FC loss over the three hours expected? Did have a sunny afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.