Brown debris on bottom of pool

OctopusSquid

Dec 7, 2020
San Antonio, TX
Hey all!

For the past few weeks/ months I've noticed this intermittent debris at the bottom of my pool. Initially I thought it was a sign my sand filter needed cleaning (which is still likely does) but I'm not so sure anymore. I can brush it and vacuum it up but it tends to come back within a few days. I've also been having an issue with high pH but due to some more aggressive acidifying my most recent numbers are:

FC: 5.5
TC: 6
pH: 7.2
TA: 120
Calcium hardness: 364
CA: 15
Phosphates: 557
TDS: 1300

I have not yet used any algicide. I am actively starting a de-phos liquid treatment. I use a mix of liquid chlorine and powder (that I always dissolve in a bucket of pool water first).

I haven't been good about backwashing my filter recently and am getting back on that. I doubt the sand filter has been cleaned in >10 years (we just bought the home with it installed 2 years ago).

Otherwise the pool looks great and clear. The chemistry is usually very balanced with only needing to add a bit of chlorine every week and sometimes some muriatic acid when I fill it back up. I live in Central Texas where our water is very hard.

The pool has a roof over it (still outside) so little leaf/etc gets in.

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20220118_022815296.jpg
    PXL_20220118_022815296.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20220118_022833424.jpg
    PXL_20220118_022833424.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Mdragger88
The first order of the day would be to get your own test results as those look like fool store testing which is unreliable to say the least. The dead algae in the pictures is what it is, dead algae which means your killing off live algae.

The first order of the day would be to get your own test results as those look like fool store testing which is unreliable to say the least. The dead algae in the pictures is what it is, dead algae which means your killing off live algae.
I've been able to confirm all the readings reliably with my Taylor K-2006C. I'm really lucky to have a good Leslie's in town. Well, specifically there is one very good manager there... the others aren't great :)

Is a SLAM enough or do I also need an algicide?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Is a SLAM enough or do I also need an algicide?
Once you have algae an algaecide will not help. It's like trying to shut barn doors after the livestock get out. It's mainly used as a preventative. Be careful with the type of algaecides you are using for future references. Cheap algaecides will cause foaming and add copper to your water. A good algaecide is polyquat 60. I dont even use algaecides unless I'm closing my pool and most of the time, I don't even use it then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once you have algae an algaecide will not help. It's like trying to shut barn doors after the livestock get out. It's mainly used as a preventative. Be careful with the type of algaecides you are using for future references. Cheap algaecides will cause foaming and add copper to your water. A good algaecide is polyquat 60. I dont even use algaecides unless I'm closing my pool and most of the time, I don't even use it then.

Good to see you posting. I hope you’re hanging in there ok. 🤗

Reactions: Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.