Brought my Doheny Discovery back to life!! M2 vs S2 circuit board.

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
So, I'm going on 8 years with my Doheny Discovery S200, Active 20 variant. I guess, I'm one of the lucky ones, because it just keeps chugging along. Also, I wasn't exactly the best owner, because I left the robot in the pool about 90% of the time, and only taking it out when I clean out the basket. I will admit, that I did spend about $200 in parts from Marina's a few years back, to replace the cord, bearings, tracks, active brushes and return flaps, but that was a small price to pay for the convienence of just hitting a button to clean to keep the bottom of the pool clean.

All this came to end about 2 weeks ago. It started when I went to turn on the robot and it started like it normally does, but then stopped about 1 minute later. I turned it off and turned it on one more time and it ran like normal. It then sat in the water for 2 or 3 days. I went to start it again and nothing. No bliniking light, no movement form the track or ripple from the propeller. When I took the motor unit apart, I was surprised to see that it was almost completely dry, with just a little condensation on the cans of the motors. Definitely not like the Triton version I fixed last year. That unit had a lot of corrosion on the motors, probably from the seals around the motor shaft. I had to creatively solder the motor circuit board contacts to make it work again (belonged to a coworker), but even that only lasted 1 month before it died again.

So, after figuring out that the circuit board was the culprit in my robot, I pulled apart the Triton my coworker gave me for parts and pulled the circuit board. To my surpise they are noticeably different and the markings different as well. Fortunetly for me, my robot started working again after the switch, although it seems like the robot runs a little differently than my Doheny did prior to the ciruit board switch.

These are the differences I noticed between the Doheny Discovery S200 variant circa 2015 build date.

-marked circuit board M2, Maytronics REV 6.2, 2410077LF
- drive motors looked identical
- my propellor motor has a metal black case with plastic end cap with regular brush holders.
- Doheny discovery has circuit LED circuit board, with LED lense on the side of the unit that faces forward
Everything else appeared to be the same.

Triton Plus (possible S300 variant) about 2018-2019 build date.
- identical drive motor
- Drive motor looks more like the ones found on Ebay for $130 used from Isreal based seller. Black metal can, with pot metal rear cover plate. A lot of corrosion on the this one.
- Triton had no LED board and no lense in the motor unit case
- Circuit board marked with S2 and some of the circuits transistors appear to be different.

Hopefully this post helps someone.

Attachments

• 20220822_114222.jpg
    20220822_114222.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220822_114241.jpg
    20220822_114241.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220822_114359.jpg
    20220822_114359.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230416_114537.jpg
    20230416_114537.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 22
Question: Does the Jumper J4 need to be in place for the circuit board to work? Mine jumper clip (black thing) broke one of the pins and came of when something fell on the board. Does the clip make continuity between the two pins or prevents them from connecting?

Thanks for any help or insight you can share, Eddy B

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.