Bromide and shock

Sep 10, 2010
Hi, I have a new acrylic or fiberglass spa with a ozone generator. Starting out I plan to use bromide, I have read and understand the sticky on bromide, however I am confused on how to test for the reserve bromide vs bromine levels, and what to use to activate the bromide or shock. my owners manual says to only use an oxidizer shock but not to use chlorinating shock. I thought chlorine was an oxidizer and shock is a process not a product.

I purchased 99% sodium bromide, sold as bromide base, the label says to add 3 oz/500gal at start up and 1 oz/500 gal weekly for reserve and to use bromide tabs or non chlorine shox as an activator.

they also recommend bromine levels of 1-3 ppm which I know is too low, how much do I need to get the 30 ppm of bromide recommended in the sticky?

Pool shock is a product.

Here they call the shock process "slam"

Yes you will need an activator. You can use a floater or a SWG. I recently installed one and am very happy with it

After your initial input of sodium bromide, you do not need to add, unless you drain/fill your tub for some reason. Not really nessacary if you are just topping it off. The sodium bromide does not evaporate or get used up.

1-3 is a little low. I shoot for 2-4. With the Ozone generator you can keep it that low.

I did, just wanted to know if TFT's recommendations match, I know they differ on opinion for pool issues.

I have only added the bromide 2 days ago, did the oto test and got zero, I will be adding a cup of bleach later, when I retest how do I know I am reading a bromine level or a chlorine level?

Sorry, which reagents are you using?

For chlorine it's 871
For bromine it's 872

They both will work but I've done both back to back tests; Sometimes they come out the same & sometimes the 871 comes up .5 to 1 less

I am using the 871.

I put 5 bromine tablets in the floater a week ago they have dissolved. It took 14 drops of 871 for my test to go clear.
What does that mean?

If the fas/dpt tests for chlorine or bromine. Does that mean they have the same chemical components to react to the test ?

I set up pool math for traditional Spa. But it only shows a recommendation for chlorine. Do I need to convert the numbers to bromine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am using the 871.

I put 5 bromine tablets in the floater a week ago they have dissolved. It took 14 drops of 871 for my test to go clear.
What does that mean?

If the fas/dpt tests for chlorine or bromine. Does that mean they have the same chemical components to react to the test ?

I set up pool math for traditional Spa. But it only shows a recommendation for chlorine. Do I need to convert the numbers to bromine?

I believe the 871 and 872 reagent must be very similar.

The difference of the chlorine and bromine is the weight. They are close

When you got 14 drops how many ml did you put in the tube?

Does your spa have an Ozone generator? You will be looking for an FC 2-4. (I keep mine around 4)
If not FC 3-5. Don't go in if it's over 10

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.