Broken Threaded Pipe

tbone2

Apr 8, 2014
Hinckley, IL
I didn't even realize, but I am getting things fired up and my vacuum line pipe that I thread into the port broke off at some point near the end of last season. Photos are included and hopefully they show what I'm not explaining the greatest. Any tips on how to get that bad boy out without messing up the female part of the threads? I'm sure there's a tool or way, but figured this may have happened to someone here before and you all could help me. The one photo is underwater, so gluing isn't an option and doubt it would be anyway with the risk of the glue bonding to other parts.
102198 102201

Maybe a pair of channel locks, insert into opening, expand and see if you can turn it.
You could also take a hacksaw blade and hand cut just thru to the threads to help loosen it up or pry it out

Cut a notch perpendicular to the threads then stick a flat screwdriver or dull chisel in it and tap on it to unscrew it. Counterclockwise.

Or fin a wood chisel or putty knife the right width, heat it with a torch, press it in to make two slots, let it cool, then stick the tool back in and twist it with a crescent wrench or pliers and unscrew it.

Thanks everyone. I was able to get it out with sorta of the notch/cut method and the needle nose. Used a small pair of snips to cut a layer, which then helped the needle nose pliers get a better grip.

Have had the pool for 5 years, but I'm now onto the next issue. New post forthcoming. Having a harder time this year versus cleaning the thing up after 4 years of no maintenance when I bought the place. The joy of pools.

Reactions: blazer58
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.