Still new to this. Using Taylor kit.

FC- 5.5
PH- 7.7
TA- 80
CYA- 30
CH- 230
Salt- 2960
Temp- 77

I want to get the calcium to 350. Pool math says add 20 lbs of calcium chloride.
I want to get the CYA to 60. Pool math says to add a gallon and 2 quarts of liquid stabilizer.

Am I good getting these chemicals from Leslies? Is there a certain kind you recommend?

Which should I do first and how long should I wait to add the second?

How soon can you swim after adding these chemicals?

Also Leslies said phosphates are 320 but I don't need to be concerned with that, right?
It also said my copper is .3. Is that a concern?

Not sure I would bother with the CYA this time of year in your climate. Your UV impact is dropping rapidly.

The CH is likely a good idea. You can get that at a pool store, amazon, etc.

Phosphates are of no concern, especially if at that very low level.

At that level of copper you can start to see effects. Green hair, fingernails, etc.

It is best to purchase granular stabilizer which you can purchase at Home Depot. Use the sock method to dissolve it. You can also purchase calcium at HD as well.

It may take 24-48 hours for the stabilizer to register on your CYA test. Keep your pump running. It may dissolve in several hours if you squeeze the sock every so often.

You disperse the calcium via spreading directly to your pool. Then brush it. It should dissolve fairly quickly. Swimming an hour or so after adding should be fine.

Not sure I would bother with the CYA this time of year in your climate. Your UV impact is dropping rapidly.

The CH is likely a good idea. You can get that at a pool store, amazon, etc.

Phosphates are of no concern, especially if at that very low level.

At that level of copper you can start to see effects. Green hair, fingernails, etc.
So what would you recommend I do for the copper then?

When you drain for the winter, the level will reduce. Just be sure to not add anymore via copper algaecide or other magic.

It is best to purchase granular stabilizer which you can purchase at Home Depot. Use the sock method to dissolve it. You can also purchase calcium at HD as well.

It may take 24-48 hours for the stabilizer to register on your CYA test. Keep your pump running. It may dissolve in several hours if you squeeze the sock every so often.

You disperse the calcium via spreading directly to your pool. Then brush it. It should dissolve fairly quickly. Swimming an hour or so after adding should be fine.
Why would you recommend granular verses the calcium chloride?

Could be the test was not accurate. Pool stores are not the best place for testing.

If you have never added any copper containing products, there should be no issue.

Not sure I understand your question.
If and when you add stabilizer to raise your CYA, the granular product is 100% CYA, and easily dissolves using the sock method. If you plan to close soon it may not be applicable to raise CYA but certainly reasonable to raise it you are losing too much FC on a daily basis if your SWCG cannot keep up the FC losses with current level of CYA.

Calcium chloride raises CH. it is a flaky substance and is best to spread directly in the pool. Do not mix in a bucket of water because it will generate heat and can burn your hand if you come in contact with it.

He meant granular stabiliser rather than liquid stabiliser.

The liquid is a lot more expensive with little benefit. Especially when adding less than a whole bottle, it can be tricky to dose, as the stabiliser tends to settle at the bottom of the bottle and is difficult to get out without rinsing the bottle in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.