Brighter Nicheless Lights--Jandy Watercolors?

davethomaspilot

Bronze Supporter
Aug 30, 2015
Apex,NC
My pool has SRSmith Treo nicheless color LED lights. I've never been happy with how bright they are.

Two have a failed LED. I could buy replacement lamps for them for around $80 each. But, maybe now is the time to upgrade to something brighter.

I found the Jandy Pro Series. That line offers 10 watt, 20 watt, and 30 watt versions. These should be much brighter than the 5 watt Treos I now have. But, it seems the lamps are not replaceable?? Threads on this forum seemed to indicate you can only expect a couple of years before one or more LEDs go bad in them. That's way too expensive!

Any suggestions? Ideally, I'd like a lumens spec and radiation pattern. Absent that, at least a power spec (watts). Seems pool lights are like batteries--Energizer bunnies instead of specs.

Also, it's silly the lights are still controlled by power sequencing. I understand the desire to be compatible with legacy pool controller equipment, but complete, independent control of each light to an essentially infinite selection of colors is really inexpensive. Especially compared to the cost of copper in the cable, not to mention the crazy prices of the equipment.

Has any one seen something that will fit in a 1.5" threaded) pvc fitting (nicheless) that is controlled by something like WS2811/WS2812 protocol? I've done comparable circuit design and fabrication. Not hard at all, except for the waterproofing. Maybe I can use the housings from my Treos with upgraded LED drive for higher power and a processor with custom firmware to support a serial control protocol over the 12V supply line. Maybe a kick starter for that, unless someone's "already been there, done that".

There are very few of us that understand what you are saying.. Seems like we should go into business creating a bulletproof light IP67 that is WS2811 controlled at 50 watts :)

The other thing I just realized last week is these lights are all powered by 12 watts AC... AC kills LED's that were designed to use DC power... I am connecting all my lights using DC power supply.. It is all done for cost as a DC power supply would cost more than a cheapo AC 12v power supply...

We could use this COB LED (without this shell) and make an IP67 waterproof shell connected to a 1.5 inch sealed pipe... Done :)

these would work nicely :)

Some additional design considerations that are important.

Number 1--thermal management. Getting a heatsink water coupled would be the #1 thing that could be done to improve LED light reliability/life. I saw at least one nicheless that did that. Might make waterproofing more of a challenge. You can't just enclose a buble of air with a heatsink in it. Or at leasty, you'd really need to do a thermal analysis to determine how hot the LEDs could get with

AC versus DC. Won't make a difference with the right drive circuitry. LEDS will see constant current. That's easily accomplished from a simple diode rectified AC voltage.

The real design challenge would be water proofing something with a heatsink in the water. I'd much rather buy than DIY, but I don't see anything out there.

9 watts at 12v is just bright enough to be seen but not really illuminate anything in the pool, it would need to be at least 20 watts at 12v... Interesting if you could switch out that 50 watt COB into that shell and heatsink to the metal frame.. That would pull the heat into the water..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.