Breaker trips on wet and Damp Days

johns6

Jul 2, 2014
round top, texas
Had a new pool pump motor installed a few months ago. Works good except sometimes after a rain or damp foggy days it will trip a breaker on start up. After a few hours when the day warms up it will eventually start. Is moisture getting in the motor or capacitor and why or where. It is a century motor.

Is the breaker a GFCI breaker?

If you know how, replacing the breaker or GFCI may be worth a try before you bring in an electrician. They can wear and get overly sensitive.

Try sprinkling water on and around the pump and wiring and see if the GFCI trips which would indicate a ground fault problem.

John,

Know both your problem and the round top area well.

First, what type of breaker do you have & where does it reside? Since Fayette County does not have code in your area, you don't have to have a 20amp DB GFCI breaker, but you should have one. The really foggy, sticky, windless days can trip GFCI breakers, especially if the breaker is not fully insulated from the ambient conditions.

If you do not have a GFCI breaker, then you need to check your motor housing to see if it's tightly sealed. If you do have a GFCI breaker, what is the brand and how old is it? It's probably a Siemens or Pentair [seimens renamed]

More than likely the dense fog is tripping your GFCI breaker...I have a place in Colorado County and its so foggy/sticky sometimes that you can hear the power lines buzzing.

Post back the info - tstex

John,

Know both your problem and the round top area well.

First, what type of breaker do you have & where does it reside? Since Fayette County does not have code in your area, you don't have to have a 20amp DB GFCI breaker, but you should have one. The really foggy, sticky, windless days can trip GFCI breakers, especially if the breaker is not fully insulated from the ambient conditions.

If you do not have a GFCI breaker, then you need to check your motor housing to see if it's tightly sealed. If you do have a GFCI breaker, what is the brand and how old is it? It's probably a Siemens or Pentair [seimens renamed]

More than likely the dense fog is tripping your GFCI breaker...I have a place in Colorado County and its so foggy/sticky sometimes that you can hear the power lines buzzing.

Post back the info - tstex
TStex,

Thanks for the reply. I do have a 20amp GFCI breaker, just not sure of the make. Everything is Pentair until motor was replaced with a Century. I guess I might try replacing the breaker just to see what happens. Since you are in the next county, do you have someone that you use or recommend to fix your pool if you can' do it yourself? Having a pool in a rural area can be a challenge. The best thing I have done is following TFP and stopped going to pool stores. Pool started fine this morning. Thanks again.

John
My pool is in houston, not the country....you would prob call someone from Brenham if there's a pool comp there. If not, try using the folks here to help you.

Yes, I'd just replace w like breakers and see how that goes. If it's a Pentair breaker, just order the Siemens equivalent; it's the same thing and cheaper. Obviously, make sure your main panel breaker is turned off and labeled "do not touch" while you're working. Good luck

John
My pool is in houston, not the country....you would prob call someone from Brenham if there's a pool comp there. If not, try using the folks here to help you.

Yes, I'd just replace w like breakers and see how that goes. If it's a Pentair breaker, just order the Siemens equivalent; it's the same thing and cheaper. Obviously, make sure your main panel breaker is turned off and labeled "do not touch" while you're working. Good luck
Thanks,

When things get over my head, I have Used Mary's pool service in Weimer, she is a Pentair dealer and has a really good technician. Talked to a few in Brenham and wasn't too impressed. If you have a pool in the country you better do good in pool school as it has to be watched daily. Just had a heavy downpour and pool is still running, just have the problem on startup.

Just had a heavy downpour and pool is still running, just have the problem on startup.

Problem on startup indicates it can be a weak breaker that can’t handle the high initial start current.

John,
As noted by Allen, a prob on start up means it could be a bad breaker. Here are some questions:

1. you stated new pump motor was installed a couple of months ago, was a new breaker installed too? If not, that could be your issue.
1b. Did you have this start-up breaker-tripping issue before the new motor was installed?
2. whomever installed the motor, what is their parts & labor warranty? if they are travelling a long distance, do they still charge you a trip charge?
3. can you take a few pics of your electrical pool panel and a close-up of the breaker? if you can do that, I can spec out a replacement breaker for you [make and model] and you can order and install. However, that's dependent on your above answers..

Yes, having a pool in country is a challenge - esp if you did not live there fulltime, if you do, then its a lot easier staying on top - at least you can go down to Royers and get a pecan pie if things get too bad :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.