Brand new pool & plaster - stains starting after 3 days.

Hettingerjm

Jun 11, 2022
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a brand new pool build and plaster that filled last Sunday. I started noticing spots within 3 days, i had been brushing twice a day. The PB added sequestreant and got levels started 24 hours after fill. I think the stains are growing so i assume it’s algae? What should I do since I can’t shock it yet. Pool builder is just forwarding my pictures to plaster company asking for advice. Pics below. Thanks!
FC - 6PPM as of today after adding more liquid chlorine
CYA-35
PH-7.6
TA - 100

Attachments

• 3888C6BB-7BEB-42F3-83C6-2C7A64F911BF.jpeg
    3888C6BB-7BEB-42F3-83C6-2C7A64F911BF.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 61E50578-3BB4-4593-8131-98E4CA6C90AB.jpeg
    61E50578-3BB4-4593-8131-98E4CA6C90AB.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 008F35B0-6D25-4BAD-A3AE-6DDD07194359.jpeg
    008F35B0-6D25-4BAD-A3AE-6DDD07194359.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Some of those spots don't look like algae to me. :scratch: If you do get algae, you can't get aggressive with chlorine for 30 days. For one of those small spots you could rub a Vitamin C tablet on it to see if it's iron.

Pool Care Basics

Okay cool thanks for the reply!, I’ll test it with vitamin C. If it is an iron stain, am i able to do the absorbic acid cleanse for the pool now or would I need to wait for the pool to finish curing?

If it is an iron stain, am i able to do the absorbic acid cleanse for the pool now or would I need to wait for the pool to finish curing?
I wouldn't do anything right away while new plaster is curing. But let's see how your test goes and what your plaster contractor says. If an AA was required due to wide-spread staining, I wouldn't do it until Nov - Feb time frame when our pool waters tend to be consistently chilly to prevent algae.

I wouldn't do anything right away while new plaster is curing. But let's see how your test goes and what your plaster contractor says. If an AA was required due to wide-spread staining, I wouldn't do it until Nov - Feb time frame when our pool waters tend to be consistently chilly to prevent algae.
Okay update! Vitamin C tablets did nothing. And when i checked chlorine levels today they were non existent.(last reading was 6PPM at 35 CYA.) so that probably means it’s organic and i need to keep feeding chlorine until they disappear correct?

so that probably means it’s organic and i need to keep feeding chlorine until they disappear correct?
It's possible. Regardless you never want zero chlorine, so definitely increase the FC as listed on the FC/CYA Levels. Just use a CYA of 40 as your reference point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.