Brand new pool owner- yellow or mustard?

Also I have 2.5 gal jugs which is 320 fl oz, which is also not an option. Grrr...
For Pool Math, you'll need to know the LC strength (in percentage, 10%, 12.5%).

You'll need a good amount of LC for the SLAM Process. Maybe 10 gallons???

Work on increasing CYA level to 30 ppm. CYA is sold as "chlorine stabilizer" at the big box stores. Use the "sock method" to add CYA.

Solid/granular CYA should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. If suspending near a return jet, ensure the sock cannot rest against the pool surface since the granules are acidic and could potentially discolor the surface. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. After soaking for about 30 minutes, squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.
I am somewhat surprised that your CYA was so low. I had expected that the previous owners only used pucks (my assumption) and thus the CYA would be high.
Me too.

@tkbutler4, how were you chlorinating the pool? Any frequent use of tablets or solid forms of chlorine?

Make sure to test Ch level also.

Last edited:
LC is bleach so that is the right drop down to use.
I do not understand the concern on the 2.5 gal jug. You indicate you added 1 gal of LC at 10%. Just select 1 gal and 10% as your addition in Pool Math.
Using PM app - 10,700 gals, 1 gal 10% LC (bleach) will raise FC by 9.3
Ok. I spent the last hour brushing Only a third of the way through the algae. I soon realized that the pool water level was dropping despite having the hose on the entire time. Went over to the filter which I had just cleaned and water was pouring out. I didn't fasten it right or something. UGH. Closed it. Pressure goes between 1-8 respectively. Tested the FC just now and it's at the top of the range on the tube which says 5. How am I supposed to know if I'm keeping it at 10 (SLAM level) if the tube only shows me up to 5?

I have an automatic hayward navigator in there working it's little heart out. But I also was told to buy a manual vac. This is the only one I could find. At what point today should I manually vacuum if at all? My water level is already too low, because of my mistake earlier.

I took two videos. I guess I can't attach that here?

Attachments

• man vac.jpg
    man vac.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7587.JPG
    IMG_7587.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7589.JPG
    IMG_7589.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 23
For Pool Math, you'll need to know the LC strength (in percentage, 10%, 12.5%).

You'll need a good amount of LC for the SLAM Process. Maybe 10 gallons???

Work on increasing CYA level to 30 ppm. CYA is sold as "chlorine stabilizer" at the big box stores. Use the "sock method" to add CYA.

Solid/granular CYA should be placed in a sock and the sock put in the skimmer basket or suspended in front of a pool return. If suspending near a return jet, ensure the sock cannot rest against the pool surface since the granules are acidic and could potentially discolor the surface. After adding CYA you should leave the pump running for 24 hours and not backwash/clean the filter for a week. After soaking for about 30 minutes, squeezing the sock periodically will help it to dissolve faster. Test and dose chemicals in your pool assuming the amount of CYA added is in the pool according to Poolmath. CYA can be tested the day after it is fully dissolved from the sock.

Me too.

@tkbutler4, how were you chlorinating the pool? Any frequent use of tablets or solid forms of chlorine?

Make sure to test Ch level also.
I put in 3, 3 inch pucks once. Other than that was just using liquid chlorine, testing weekly. Pool used to be beautiful. So I don't think I have any CYA. Can I put in some pucks into the chlorinator instead to raise CYA?

Tested the FC just now and it's at the top of the range on the tube which says 5. How am I supposed to know if I'm keeping it at 10 (SLAM level) if the tube only shows me up to 5?
Your using the OTO color test, which is nearly useless.

Use the drop-based test using R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops. Use a 10 mL sample.

Directions for the FAD/DPD test. Follow up with R-0003 to calculate CC. See:

When you're ready, begin the SLAM Process. Read the directions and be prepared. You'll need to be around to test FC every couple hours or so. As the SLAM moves forward, you can stretch that out depending on your FC loss. This is a process that typically takes from a couple days to a week, and in extreme cases, weeks.

The SLAM works best with a CYA level of 30-40 ppm.

PH should be 7.2 to 7.5 ppm before starting the SLAM. The pH test is invalid at FC levels above 10 ppm.

No need to rush into it.

Your using the OTO color test, which is nearly useless.

Use the drop-based test using R-0870 powder and R-0871 drops. Use a 10 mL sample.

Directions for the FAD/DPD test. Follow up with R-0003 to calculate CC. See:

Ohhhhhhhh. Thank you, Mike! Geeez. I was like, why did I just spend so much $$ on the same exact test I was using. lol.
Ok, now the FC was 7, and the CC was .5. So I added ~5 cups more of FC. Test again in an hour.

Reactions: HermanTX
Are you starting the SLAM? On the CYA test, did the black dot disappear to give you the result of 20 ppm?

Does your pool enclosure provide UV protection?
Yes just started slam at 1:30pm ET.

Yes CUA was 20. Can I increase it with pucks? If so how many?

No it’s just a screened in lanai. No UV protection.

I put in 3, 3 inch pucks once. Other than that was just using liquid chlorine, testing weekly. Pool used to be beautiful. So I don't think I have any CYA. Can I put in some pucks into the chlorinator instead to raise CYA?
Ok. That makes sense that you stopped using pucks.
The CYA test can be tricked at Times. I use an alternate process. I pour the mixed solution to a set line, ex. 70. I peer in the tube and if I see the dot, I then pour to line 60, peer again. I continue this until I cannot see it and then select the level that I last saw the dot. IF you continue to just look down the tube, your eyes will play tricks on you regarding seeing the dot. That is why you need to peer in.
Also, only refer to CYA in decade numbers, 40, 50, etc. It is a logarithm scale between each decade line as you can see, the high CYA numbers are close together and the lower numbers are farther apart on the tube.

Also, you can pour the solution back in the mixing bottle and do it over again if you wish.
Just ensure your pH is in low 7’s before bring up FC.
So if your CYA is 30 your target FC for SLAM is 12.

Using the pucks will take time to raise CYA. Each 3inch puck for 10,700 gallons will only raise CYA 3.1 - after full dilution. Use Trichlor and 8oz for 1 puck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes CUA was 20. Can I increase it with pucks? If so how many?
I recommend granular CYA (chlorine stabilizer). I added some of this to my pool this morning. It's a decent value if you can find it in your area (click the link...it's safe):

I recommend granular CYA (chlorine stabilizer). I added some of this to my pool this morning. It's a decent value if you can find it in your area (click the link...it's safe):

Is the Clorox Pool stabilizer the best CUA for your buck? Or are other brands acceptable or better? HDH?

I’ll go to Walmart now! Finally finished brushing. My back needs a break. At 4pm FC was 10, and CC <.5. What do I want CC at and how do I get it there to stay?
There are 3 criteria to pass
Clear Pool
CC <0.5
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

It would be good to review this video

I got the exact bag of Clorox stabilizer you recommended. The pool calc says to put in 28oz. Does that sound about right considering I am SLAMING and the FC is at 10?
Your target is 30 ppm. This is from the Pool Math Webpage.

1656197356821.png

Put it in a sock or nylon, tie it off, and put it in the skimmer. After 15-20 minutes start squeezing, let it sit, and repeat. It should dissolve within an hour or so.

Your new SLAM FC target is 12 ppm.

Make sure your Pool Math app has the correct pool volume now.

Reactions: tkbutler4

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.