Brand New IC40 Says Low Salt

Maybe go to a pool store to see what result they get.
Will do.

Also I noticed I have a new page in my Intellicenter app. Looks like the thing actually communicates the level it’s measuring. 2550ppm.

From other threads I understand this to be a conductivity measurement and not a direct measurement of chloride, but still, and interesting data point.

I am still surprised I started at 1000ppm salt with two month old water, having added only maybe 12 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) and 2 gallons of acid (31%) and with fill water of 400ppm salt. 2550ppm is where I’d expect to be given 350lb salt addition to 400ppm water.

Attachments

• IMG_8059.jpeg
    IMG_8059.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 7
350 lbs of salt should raise the salinity by 2,200 ppm in 19,000 gallons.

2 gallons of 31.45% HCl is equivalent to 9.76 pounds of NaCl, which should add 61 ppm.

12 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) should add 130 ppm.

So, 400 + 2,200 + 61 + 130 = 2,791 ppm.

Salt comes in 40 pound bags, so you added 8.75 bags of salt?

Maybe I missed this reply, but my copy of the manual for the IC40 says minimum salt is 3600ppm. Oddly enough 3600 is also listed as optimum. Kindof a small range. However, I often get 3400 from my 1766 test kit while the cell displays salt is OK. So, there may be a problem with your cell. Before calling for warranty assistance, though, you could get the salt up to the recommended minimum.

I just noticed this is a DIY installation. In any case, you want to get this resolved quickly, as when not installed by an authorized Pentair dealer, your warranty is pretty darned short.

350 lbs of salt should raise the salinity by 2,200 ppm in 19,000 gallons.

2 gallons of 31.45% HCl is equivalent to 9.76 pounds of NaCl, which should add 61 ppm.

12 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) should add 130 ppm.

So, 400 + 2,200 + 61 + 130 = 2,791 ppm.

Salt comes in 40 pound bags, so you added 8.75 bags of salt?
South Bay salt works in Southern California sells solar evaporated salt in 50 pound bags for about 25% less than name brands so I went with them.

Reactions: RLP and JamesW
Are you able to close your main drain so the pump is only pulling from the top of the pool? Then reboot the intellichlor and see what it reads. The picture in your media looks like you have a deep pool, maybe the salt hasn't fully mixed?

Reactions: JamesW
I just noticed this is a DIY installation. In any case, you want to get this resolved quickly, as when not installed by an authorized Pentair dealer, your warranty is pretty darned short.
And my second kid is due to be born any minute now so the pressure is really on!

Maybe I missed this reply, but my copy of the manual for the IC40 says minimum salt is 3600ppm. Oddly enough 3600 is also listed as optimum. Kindof a small range. However, I often get 3400 from my 1766 test kit while the cell displays salt is OK. So, there may be a problem with your cell. Before calling for warranty assistance, though, you could get the salt up to the recommended minimum.
I attached a copy of the literature sent with the cell. The combination of lights it’s giving me should only be for salt levels <2600ppm.

It says 3200-3400 should be fine, and indeed on the cell itself it says 3600ppm optimal.

Attachments

• IMG_8060.jpeg
    IMG_8060.jpeg
    554 KB · Views: 6
Maybe go to a pool store to see what result they get.
Ok I went to Leslie’s for the first and hopefully last time. I attached their results from their do-it-all-with-one-tiny-sample AccuBlue machine (reminds me of Theranos Edison), and I also ran a full TF100 panel at the same time and wrote them down. They say 2200 ppm salt.

My regular store - more of an independent warehouse - will test the water with Taylor reagents, but they’re closed on sundays. Let me know if you think I should get a test from them.

Attachments

• IMG_8062.jpeg
    IMG_8062.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 11

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My regular store - more of an independent warehouse - will test the water with Taylor reagents, but they’re closed on sundays. Let me know if you think I should get a test from them.
Yes, the more results the better especially when the readings are inconsistent.

Maybe your test kit is off for some reason.

Maybe the drops are too big from your bottle and you need a new dropper tip.

Are you able to close your main drain so the pump is only pulling from the top of the pool? Then reboot the intellichlor and see what it reads. The picture in your media looks like you have a deep pool, maybe the salt hasn't fully mixed?
Ok that’s a really interesting question.

When I first dumped the salt in I noticed it was dissolving into a concentrated brine pool at the bottom. I could tell bu taste and temperature as I swam along the bottom.

I have one of those Hayward skimmers that is plumbed to the main drain, so you configure this little puck thing in the bottom of it to select how much you want to draw from the surface vs the main drain at the bottom.

I set it for 100% main drain and have left it like that up until 5 minutes ago. Once I did that I could tell the pump was drawing the brine from the bottom because the water out of the return jets tasted super salty for a while, then it evened out.

So I will apply power to the cell again now that I’m drawing from the surface and see what it says.

Reactions: Ahultin and JamesW
Once I did that I could tell the pump was drawing the brine from the bottom because the water out of the return jets tasted super salty for a while, then it evened out.
Brush the pool well several times.

However, make sure that the salt is completely mixed by brushing several times and test the water with at least three independent good salt tests.
This is why I was stressing to brush the pool.

People underestimate how long salt can sit on the floor without mixing into the main body of water.

Salt can actually sit on the floor for days even if the pump is running the entire time.

Reactions: Ahultin
This is why I was stressing to brush the pool.

People underestimate how long salt can sit on the floor without mixing into the main body of water.

Salt can actually sit on the floor for days even if the pump is running the entire time.
Roger that. Going out to brush it now.

Reactions: JamesW
While we’re waiting for me to get a salinity test at a second pool store, can anyone please help me find where it says how much salt is in the water from our water quality report? Is it the table entry for “sodium”?

I'm pretty certain this is a typo in the manual. Elsewhere in the manual you can find the statement: Green LED: Good salt. The water salt level is between 2800ppm and 4500ppm.

It also states that chlorine production will be reduced with salt levels below 2800ppm. At levels below 2600pm the Intellichlor SCG will not produce chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.