Stephz520

May 10, 2021
Austin
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My husband and I installed this above ground pool last summer. We leveled out the ground and put sand down under the entire oval structure but did not do a great job filling sand under the four leg braces on either side. A year later the braces are bending into the ground and the walls are bowing out. Is this thing going to collapse or are we good? It’s hard to imagine that the legs can sink any farther than they already have. Any thoughts? Do we need to fix it? Is it fixable? There is 1-2 inch difference in space from the water to the top of the pool in different places.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 81
Usually the directions have you put cinderblock or patio stone under the uprights and the legs. Sand by itself will not hold the weight. It will probably continue to sink on that side and compromise the pool wall's integrity.

Yes, that pool wasn’t installed correctly so the walls are compromised. Are the legs actually bent at all?

It‘s hard to say how long the current situation will last. But for the safety of everyone in or around it, it should be corrected.

What size pool is it? Looks to be about 15x24, that is 9700 gallons = 77,458 pounds = 39 tons pushing against those walls

Without blocks under the legs it will continue to sink.. mostly when it gets wet but it can happen when it is dry also...

Should be easy to drain the pool, dig out and level the legs with blocks under them and refill..

Ok. Some of the legs are bent. It’s just the part of the leg that’s closest to the ground. It’s bending as it’s sinking in. I have looked for replacement parts but can find any. Will those parts of the legs bend back?

What size pool is it? Looks to be about 15x24, that is 9700 gallons = 77,458 pounds = 39 tons pushing against those walls

Without blocks under the legs it will continue to sink.. mostly when it gets wet but it can happen when it is dry also...

Should be easy to drain the pool, dig out and level the legs with blocks under them and refill..
It’s 12x24. 6700 gallons.

Do you think the walls will collapse when we drain it?

Do you think the walls will collapse when we drain it?
If they are crimped, creased or buckling, they will fail at some point. That's a problem. If they are only bowing they could be ok.
I can't tell from the pictures if the walls are bucking or that's just the pattern.

It's been almost a week. Have you started to fix the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If they are crimped, creased or buckling, they will fail at some point. That's a problem. If they are only bowing they could be ok.
I can't tell from the pictures if the walls are bucking or that's just the pattern.

It's been almost a week. Have you started to fix the pool?
I have not started to fix it. The walls are all perfectly fine. They are just bowing. Now creases at all

You're going to have to drain, disassemble and start over. Sorry for the lack of bed-side manner, but why sugar coat it. By the looks of the pics it is quite salvageable. Hard to tell but I don't see any bending of the buttresses. Make sure that you use blocks under each buttress and if you haven't, under each post. Level each one independently and then with each other, all the way around. Yes it is hard work but when you take the easy way the end results do not last. If the wall of the pool got creased don't panic, probably only you will be able to tell with the swirl pattern that exists on the wall. You can pound out a crease with a piece of wood. Good luck and take your time! Haste makes waste... Contact the manufacturer for a replacement brace. If no replacement parts can be found, maybe some angle iron sistered between the brace might help.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.