Borax Uses

saint_malachy

Jun 27, 2009
Does anyone use this stuff for things other than controlling pH in the pool? I see the other uses on the box, but is it worth using? I usually have it left over after the pool season. Thanks.

svenpup

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 18, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I bought a few boxes when I first went BBB. Never had to use it since my ph rises. I love what it does for laundry. Fluffy towels and helps with odors in gym clothes.

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
I use it mainly in laundry, not every wash but always doggie things, and let them soak. On occasion I'll do a wash and forget to put it in the dryer for a day or two and it begins to smell some. Those things get a rewash, using less detergent and some borax with a little soaking during the wash cycle.

Rarely in the pool because I have to use lots of MA to keep the pH down. Use it in the spa and like to keep it at 50 ppm.

I mostly use baking soda and vinegar. Bunch of baking soda in kitchen sinks, then some vinegar, and then run very hot water after it stops fizzing. Vinegar in my iRobot Scoobas (robotic floor washers for hard surfaces), except the downstairs bathroom, because vinegar is not really good for grout. I usually use a low sudsing antibacterial for the Scooba in that bathroom. Vinegar and baking soda for toilet bowls. Vinegar for windows. Baking soda and borax are good, mild abrasives.

I'll think of some more. The borax box has some good suggestions.

gg=alice

Coastal Carolina

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Cleans toilet bowls amazingly, and makes porcelain sinks sparkle too! I have also used it as a dog dip for hot spots, (diluted down quite a bit though) and makes her coat very soft. Don't let them drink or take internally.

thecanuck22

In The Industry
Jun 11, 2010
Vernon BC
off the top of my head---borax with an equal part of honey or other sweet syrup like substance is a great ant killer, borax can be used to make 'flubber' just search google for flubber, borax is used in soap making

lightingguy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Glendale, CA
Borax works best as an ant bait at concentrations around 5% by weight. This is basically Terro liquid Ant bait.

At a 50/50 mix with honey or simple syrup ants never make it back to the nest to share the goodies.

Other Threads of Interest