Borates and dogs

tim5055

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
Well, about a month ago we lost our beloved German Shepherd Dog Niko to cancer. Before yo go thinking this is blaming borates, nope - never used them. I was always afraid because Niko thought the pool was his big water bowl. He loved to swim in lakes, ponds, the ocean and streams but he would not get in the pool.

The house was too empty, so we contacted the local German Shepherd Dog rescue GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE & ADOPTIONS and adopted a sweet 10 month old. He also loves ot swim, but he has no fear of the pool. As a matter of fact here he is just after calling for another glass of wine:

DSCF2244.jpg

I'm so very sorry you lost Niko. I tell you, I know what a deep hurt that is. Each time I say I won't ever love another pet again. But my mom taught me adopting a new pet is the best thing to do for all. How lucky you and the new puppy are! (puppy? seriously?)

So what is the new pup's name? How much does he weigh? He's a great looking dog!
Long and happy life to all!

Very sorry for your loss. I lost border collie Australian Shepherd mix after 17 years, one of the toughest things that's ever happened to me. I have to ask why use the title you did, when borates had nothing to do with it? By the way, awesome looking dog, congratulations.

Maybe the title of your thread should be redone? Kind of implies borates killed your dog when you clearly state the opposite. In fact, why even put borates in the title at all since you don't use them???

I'm confused....:scratch:

Sorry for the loss. I'm not much of an animal person but the wife is and so we compromised - one cat. The latest incarnation of "house pet" is a very wild, bengal breed which I honestly have grown not to like. I keep one eye open at night because I'm sure she'll do me in when given the chance....

Yeah, why the mention of the borates?

For what it's worth, I have borates at 80ppm and have a Lab/Dane mix that spends more time in the pool than out of it.... She's healthier than I am.

I really feel the cautionary stance to borates and animals is far too conservative. Sure, if the dog is drinking 10 gallons of pool water a day then that's a different story.

Very sorry for your loss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, why the mention of the borates?

For what it's worth, I have borates at 80ppm and have a Lab/Dane mix that spends more time in the pool than out of it.... She's healthier than I am.

I really feel the cautionary stance to borates and animals is far too conservative. Sure, if the dog is drinking 10 gallons of pool water a day then that's a different story.

Very sorry for your loss.

+1

My borates are up near 60ppm. Has a much better pH control effect for me (probably due to my higher evaporation rates and upwards pressure on TA).

Current recommendation at 50ppm is fine for most pools. Warnings about animals are overblown.

I have mine out about 35 ppm. Sad thing is, every living thing, almost, is subject to cancer and many cases regardless how you take care of yourself or what you consume. Although I do believe there are many contributing factors. I have not yet replaced my dog, mostly because I don't want to go through that again. After 17 years, he truly was one of the family.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.