borate level in pool

Brat

Jun 26, 2015
mpls/mn
I have a borate level of 2 in my pool. I've been told that borate isn't necessary, but is herlpful. If I want to get the borate level up, can I use boric acid instead of borax and muriatic acid? Thanks, Brat

Are you relying on pool store testing to manage your water? Because there can be some benefits to adding borates to the water, but they are a final step. Doing your own testing, following the FC/CYA Levels, and getting your pH and TA properly balances are all important steps that need to be in place before considering borates.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long delay. I am relying on pool shop right now. My tf 100 kit should arrive tomorrow. When my chemistry is good, do you suggest borates? I inferred from your last reply that you could take em or leave em. Thanks for your input

Yes you can use boric acid instead of Borax and muriatic acid.

Also, keep in mind that after you add borates, it will take a lot more muriatic acid to lower the PH. I guess many people take this as the PH is more stable, but that has not been the case for me. I still have to lower my PH about once a week.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long delay. I am relying on pool shop right now. My tf 100 kit should arrive tomorrow. When my chemistry is good, do you suggest borates? I inferred from your last reply that you could take em or leave em. Thanks for your input

I have 50 ppm borates in my pool, and I love them. The PH is rock solid at 7.8, the water feels great, looks great, and is easier on the eyes. But you do have to make sure your water is well balanced first. I also put salt in my pool to 2000 ppm, and it also makes the water feel great. You could put that in before the borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.