Booster Pump way too strong

bobafet1

May 14, 2020
Fontana, CA
Hey Everyone,
I did an owner-build pool so I really don't have anyone to blame but myself for not knowing what I didn't know. Basically, I added 6 more jets in my spa for a total of 12 and was advised by the plumber that I needed a booster pump. I called the supply house and was told that a single speed pump is best for this. I had asked if a VS would be better but was encouraged to save my money and not go this route for just a booster pump. So, now that everything is plumbed and done I'm seeing that this booster pump is way too strong. Its a Pentair Whisperflo 2HP (011529). Basically this one: Pentair WhisperFlo 2HP WFET-8 TEFC Pool and Spa Pump | 011529

I'm hesitant to throttle the pump down with a valve since that will just waste electricity, right? I'm curious if there is any way to drop the RPMs on this thing or if I'm pretty much stuck with an expensive "standby" pump now. Any info/tips are appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

It looks like the main body is the same as my intellifo VS. I wonder if I can just buy a VS motor and slap it on the body.
WFE 8 has a THP of 2.6 so the VS would need to be that large or you would have to downsize the the impeller. This one would work but at that price you might as well buy a new pump:

I'm hesitant to throttle the pump down with a valve since that will just waste electricity, right? I'm curious if there is any way to drop the RPMs on this thing or if I'm pretty much stuck with an expensive "standby" pump now. Any info/tips are appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

You can throttle the pump flow no problem and you will save electricity. That's the beauty of centrifugal impellers.
You could also, as was already suggested, downsize the impeller. This coupled with flow throttling will save even more electricity.

A downsize in impeller will save a lot more in energy than throttling. It is similar to RPM changes as was illustrated in the examples posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.