Booster Pump Funny Noise/Surging

PoolFun

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
Westford, MA
Hi all, with the record warm temperatures we are having in the great NorthEast, I figure it is time to think about getting the pool open again!

I have a Polaris 280 with the PB-4 booster pump, Installed in 2011. Controller turns the booster pump on for an hour each morning and boosts the main pump up to 50%. The system had been working fine since installation, until....

Was sitting by the pool one sunny day last August during the time the Cleaner was supposed to be operating and noticed it wasn't moving. Wandered by the pump and there was no movement and I could smell an electrical burning smell. I switched off the service cutoff switch to the booster pump, looked around and did not notice anything amiss. Turned the service cutoff back on, pump started right up, and the cleaner started cleaning and continued to clean for the next month or so. (this may or may not be pertinent to my current issue).

Along in September, I noticed that the cleaner was not doing a good job and went to investigate. Standing by the pump, the pump seemed to be operating fine, but I would hear a 'swoosh' that sounded like air in the line being flushed through, repeating every 10 seconds or so. However, there was no air coming out any of the lines. I pulled the 280 out of the water and the flow was quite low, except there was a 'surge' to normal pressure periodically. I'm not sure if the timing coincided with the swoosh or not. Since it was almost time to close the pool, I just shut the pump off and manually cleaned.

It seems that the motor itself is working and looks to be in good shape. I have not tried to troubleshoot any further at this point. Just curious if anyone has heard of anything similar and any suggestions for identifying the problem and a solution. Would it be worth just purchasing and replacing the Volute? It is supposed to be reasonably warm this weekend, so I may try to pull the Volute apart and see if anything is broken inside, but I did not hear anything that sounded like broken pieces in there last time I ran it.

As always, thanks for any suggestions.

I pulled the housing off today and didn't see anything amiss. I have halfheartedly tried to remove the impeller, but it didn't come loose, so I left it in place. The shaft seems to spin freely with no obvious binding. There is a bit of drag on it, when I spin it as fast as I can, it stops in less than one revolution. I'm guessing that the shaft seal is providing that drag.

These are the pictures that I took with the housing off. If anyone can see something not right, please let me know.

20170301_171118.jpg
20170301_171135.jpg

Yes, that is water on the cover. The pool company that closes the pool blows air through it, but (apparently) does not open the drain plug on the booster pump (they do on the other systems). There also looked like a 'smear' of clear silicone caulk on the inside of the housing, over the drain plug. You can sort of see it as the rough area in the shiny wet spot.

20170301_171148.jpg
20170301_171322.jpg

For those of you following at home....

After posting the pictures, I realized I never tried to isolate the issue further, but figured it must be the pump based on the sounds at the pump and the symptoms of surging observed at the crawler. I put the pump back together and after opening the pool ran the pump without any hose attached. It produced a good, strong, steady flow at the outlet on the pool wall. Hmmm, could it be the reversing gear?, how about something inside the crawler?

So, the pool has been open for a few weeks now and the booster pump and crawler seem to be working correctly. Don't know why. Maybe there was something stuck in the line some place and it got blown through during closing or after I opened this spring. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything looks amiss.

Thanks for the comments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.