Booster pump failure - replace vs robot - what robot?

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
My booster pump stopped working. Installed 2016. Tag says LA01N, 3/4 hp Pentair, receipt says LA01N and then Letro Legend (maybe because I had that cleaner at the time -seems odd). 4 yrs of life seems way to short. Calling out for service that installed it is 1/3 the price of a new pump.

Troubleshoot vs replace vs robot

1. Could anyone direct me to step by step troubleshoot? "Check to see if it is getting power" "Check the capacitor" What else? THEN I will have to Youtube/Google those recommendation! Fair enough. Just need to know all the variables. Is there a Pool School FAQ on this? That would be super, but I could not locate it.

2. What robot to jump to? Pretty smooth pool surface, like fine sandpaper. Four 90 degree corners (not a rectangle though), one corner has 3 steps, one wall has an outcropping that forms a submerged step to exist the pool opposite the 3 steps. Is the Dolphin m500 my reasonable choice? Been reading posts here.

3. Challenge is activity of putting robot into the pool week after week month after month. 2 hours of Polaris suction cleaner daily up to now. Is that a lot of energy? How do I estimate 3/4 hp motor energy use = $ per hour of operation?

4. If robot is the answer --- then I connect together the inflow and outflow that was going to booster pump with PVC , remove pump. And leave the connector for suction pump in wall as it will be/and needs to be flowing some water when main pool pump is on?

Bob

See if that helps with your troubleshooting.

Many of us have Maytronics/Dolphin robots. The basic ones will clean the pool. You can upgrade from there for bluetooth, caddies, etc. Call Marina Pool Spa in Denver and they can give you recommendations based on your wants and desires.

I leave our robot in the pool all summer. I take the controller in to the garage if we may get rain. Others have found ways to protect them. You have to remove the robot and clean the filter every few runs if your debris load is average.

A 3/4 hp (is that THP?, check for a Service Factor) motor will consume around 750 watts per hour.

You can hook the lines up so the booster line flows water all the time. Or plug it off on the pool side and abandon it.

Thank you for that!
I didn't know it could stay in pool if needed. Unplugged I assume when swimming :)
3/4 HP and it says SF 1.5 -- so call it 1 HP and increase energy use estimate?

An InyoPools page led me to multiply volts times amps to get 1495 watts or 1.495 kW (you estimated 1/2 that)
But then they jumped to multiplying that kW by hours of operation as if volts times amps is an hourly estimate? Where does time factor come in?
If that's so, and I run it 3 hours/day that's 5 kW per day, at higher PG&E Tier of 0.30 cents/kW, that's $1.50/day (or your 75 cents per day).
My estimate breaks electricity + pump price vs $850 robot even in one year, your estimate ~ 2 yrs.
I know that is likely low end product, but add increased cleaning power and the prospect of a new shiny toy I'm going to go that way.

After I exhaust myself reading opinions online of course.

Thank you so much.
Bob

A 3/4 hp motor with 1.5 SF is a 1.125 THP. So rough estimate is 1.125 kW.

As you live in California, I do not believe you can replace that motor with a single speed motor. It must be variable speed.

>>A 3/4 hp motor with 1.5 SF is a 1.125 THP. So rough estimate is 1.125 kW. <<
That somehow is a "per hour" calculation yes?

Back to: >> You can hook the lines up so the booster line flows water all the time. Or plug it off on the pool side and abandon it. <<

1. First option has me doing a lot of gluing or half a**ing hose between the two pipes
2. Second option still requires both sides to be plugged right?

Patience may be required to answer this!
The two sides of the pump are threaded - either create a U shaped connection between the two or plug both of them?

Attachments

• IMG_5103.jpg
    IMG_5103.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.