Booster Pump and Polaris Pressure cleaner

Jul 14, 2014
Dallas/Texas
Hello Everyone--

I have a Polaris 360-- that is several years old, it works, but seems I am always replacing parts. Also, it does not seem to clean efficiently at times. The clerk at the store suggested purchasing the Polaris P39 Pressure cleaner and adding the PB4sq booster pump to my system. At the moment I don't have a booster pump. Is it feasible to add the booster pump to the Polaris 360 I already have to improve its cleaning? Or should I upgrade to the Polaris P39 and does the P39 cleaner require a booster pump at all? Hope this makes since-- just trying to make sure the sales person is not just trying to up sale me on equipment I don't need.

Thank you,

Teresa

The Polaris 360 is a pressure side cleaner, meaning it needs a dedicated booster pump for it to operate. I don't see how you could get enough pressure for it to operate properly without one. If you don't already have a booster pump installed, I don't think it would be feasible to add one, as they usually need to be plumbed to a dedicated return line that is only for the pressure cleaner, not sure how you could retrofit that back into the pool.

All that being said, my advice is ditch the Polaris and buy a maytronics dolphin robot cleaner. Approximately the same price as the Polaris, way better cleaning, cheaper to run, easier to use.

The Polaris 360 is a pressure side cleaner, meaning it needs a dedicated booster pump for it to operate. I don't see how you could get enough pressure for it to operate properly without one. .

The Polaris 360 Pressure Pool Cleaner | #1 Swimming Pool Cleaner Worldwide | Polaris Automatic Pool Cleaners is designed to operate without a separate booster pump. It uses normal return flow pressure to power itself.

I don't know how well the Polaris 360 would work with the added pressure of a booster pump. It may overpower it. You can try adding a booster pump to your existing 360 as the first step. Then you have the booster pump for a new cleaner if the 360 still doesn't work well.

Needing to rebuild these cleaners is part of normal maintenance with them living in the pool water. Parts buildup corrosion and get friction which slows them down. The water pressure is not a lot of power and everything has to turn as designed for the Polaris cleaners to work properly.

I would only buy the Polaris Quattro Sport for a new pressure powered cleaner. It has the cleaning mechanism of a robot cleaner but powered by water pressure instead of an electrical cord.

It's a pressure side cleaner, so in principle, you could use a booster pump. But given that it's designed to be used off the main pump (along with all of the other returns and features) I'd just be careful not to get too powerful a pump if you decide to go that route. I doubt Polaris will be of any help, so hopefully someone on this forum will have done this and can advise on what (or what not) to do.

If I have a variable speed pump and the higher through put setting would be enough when I used the pool vacuum or robot then I guess I wouldnt need the booster pump?

You likely need the booster pump to ensure optimal cleaner performance.

Depends how many other returns you have that divert enough water flow that your cleaner to effect its performance.

Last edited:
I just rechecked, they actually put the supply for the booster pump on the exit of the pool filter which seems correct. But they don't split the output of the filter till the pipe is under the ground, I guess the split should really be at the exit of the filter? Its all 1.5" pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.