Booster Pump Affecting Main Pump Flow

victor85

Apr 11, 2022
Houston, TX
Noob warning.

Noticed today that when my robot starts running (i.e. when booster pump is on), the water flow coming out of my fountains (connected to the main pool pump) is significantly decreased. Any ideas what could be causing this? Thinking maybe I have a clog somewhere or my filter is dirty...?

Note, this may or may not be related but it is "oakpocalypse" season here in Houston and the oak tree has been dumping mass amounts of "flowers" in the pool over the past week - started around the same time I noticed this issue with the fountain. I have been cleaning the pool daily though.

TIA

Last edited:
Victor,

A dirty filter will reduce the amount of available water, so something has to do without. What is your normal filter pressure and what is it now?

If this were my pool, the first thing I would do is clean the filter. What kind of filter do you have, and when was it last cleaned?

And just to follow up on your "noob warning".. :mrgreen: You have a pressure side cleaner, which uses water to power the cleaner. You do not have a "robot" cleaner, which uses low voltage DC to power the cleaner, no pool pumps are used.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Victor,

A dirty filter will reduce the amount of available water, so something has to do without. What is your normal filter pressure and what is it now?

If this were my pool, the first thing I would do is clean the filter. What kind of filter do you have, and when was it last cleaned?

And just to follow up on your "noob warning".. :mrgreen: You have a pressure side cleaner, which uses water to power the cleaner. You do not have a "robot" cleaner, which uses low voltage DC to power the cleaner, no pool pumps are used.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the correction! I have a cartridge filter that was last cleaned a couple weeks ago. But that was before the oak tree started falling all over the pool.

My normal filter pressure is 10 psi and its actually lower than that now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.