Your electrician is wrong.

The town inspector is what is known as the Agency Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). Even if it’s not in the code, if the AHJ requires it, it’s required.

in this case your electrician is just wrong. It’s required By the National Electrical Code. There is more to bonding other than just the uprights.

Reactions: jseyfert3
Well, the inspector wins. You can't get a permit sign-off without the inspector signing off on it. Doesn't matter what the electrician or a bunch of people on a forum say.
Hey, we have a good bunch of people here!

But, the inspector always wins.

Remember the adage of construction -

Those who can, do

Those who can’t, inspect.....

• Haha
Reactions: kne
Is the entire pool made of non-metalic parts?

Did the inspector give you a specific code and section he is failing the installation for?

What NEC code cycle is your town/county on?

Inspectors can and have been wrong. Successfully arguing with them takes a lot of knowledge and a willingness to fight the battle. You have to ask yourself it worth the time and effort?

What is the scope of work for the electrician? Did it include bonding? Did it state “all electrical components for a pool installation”?

There are a lot of variables here and the NEC is not easy to interpret.

The electrician pulled the permit and did the wiring. It is his license on the line. You, the inspector, and the electrician need to be aligned.

My guess is that the electrician thinks this is “storable pool” with “42 inches or less of water” and the inspector considers this a “permanent pool”. The 2017 NEC has this weird gray area in its definition of a permanent pool and storable pool. For a permanent pool it states “in the ground” or “partially in the ground”. For a storable pool, it states it comes as a package and can be broken down for winter storage.

For the 2011 NEC, the following definition:
Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pool. Those
that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable
of holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a
pool with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable
fabric walls regardless of dimension.

From the 2014 NEC handbook:
“Storable pools are intended to be temporary structures, without
the need for special wiring or modification to the pool site. They
are usually sold as a complete package, consisting of the pool
walls, vinyl liner, plumbing kit, and pump/filter device. A storable
pool is often disassembled and stored during the winter months.
The main difference between a storable and permanent pool
is wall height. Generally, pools intended to be disassembled at
season’s end have wall heights of 42 inches or less, while those
not intended for disassembly have wall heights of 48 inches or
more. The surface area of the pool is not a factor. Inflatable pools
are treated as storable pools regardless of their wall height.
Storable pools are supplied as two distinct types. One type is
intended to be disassembled at the end of each swimming sea-
son. The second type, by the nature of its construction, can be
disassembled, but manufacturers recommend leaving it assem-
bled. The pools in the latter category frequently require special
modification to and preparation of the pool site, making them
impractical to disassemble.”

Bottom line is the 42 vs 48 pool height and the construction of the pool (non-metallic).

Bottom line is the 42 vs 48 pool height and the construction of the pool (non-metallic).
I emailed our inspector about our Intex (which will hopefully be going up soon, but is not yet) back when I was getting the permits for this very reason. The Intex has flexible vinyl liner with metal support posts and plastic post connectors. With a height of 52" it really depends how you interpret the NEC. I was worried the inspector may require it bonded. His reply? If the included pump states it's for storable pools, and you use only equipment that is rated for storable pools, then it's a storable pool, no bonding required.

If the included pump does not say it's for a storable pool, or I was to add a different pump or other equipment that is not listed for a storable pool, then it's considered a permanent pool and all bonding requirements must be met.

In my case, the Intex pump says it's for a storable pool and to not use it on a permanent pool. So I don't need to bond my pool. But if I upgrade the pump (as many here do) to a regular metal cased motor which is almost certainly listed for permanent pools, then the pool has to be bonded as per a permanent pool. Which would suck, given the 52 unconnected metal support rods...so I likely will not be upgrading my pump except with another Intex pump.

Anyway, yes, inspectors can be wrong, but that sure looks like a "permanent" pool to me.

To the OP: Does it have a metal wall? You said it had plastic support posts but didn't mention the wall. Does it have any other metal parts?

Reactions: mbauer13
Thanks all. We don't want to fight with the inspector at all. We were just wondering if the electrician knew what he was talking about to guide whether we continue with him. Our pool walls are 52" high. We want to err on the side of safety. We've decided to move on from this electrician and find someone else to come bond the pool. Slowing down our first swim day, but we as I said, safety first. Thanks to all of you who commented. We are really appreciating this forum! We had a first swim date in mind when we started this process, and it's been frustrating for it to keep getting pushed back, but I'm guessing that's how it goes. It will be worth it in the end, right?

Floatmaster, you made the right choice.
Most importantly, with the pool being properly bonded, it will be safer than the same pool not bonded, whether it is required or not.
As you said, safety first!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.