Bonding Woes

Purple

Feb 11, 2017
Utah
I have an existing concrete pad in my yard. I plan to put a 15’ above ground pool on it. The pool I’m looking at has resin top and bottom rail and is 54” deep.The pool will have a deck on one side and a waterslide on top of the deck.

I’ve read every bonding thread here and I’m still confused—not about the purpose, but the how-to. Does a wire need to go to 4 places in the concrete, then to the metal part of the slide, then to the bolt on the pool wall seam, then to the pump? And how do you bond 4 places in concrete anyway? There are no installers in my area, and the electrician didn’t know.

Update: A day of very boring research has lead me to believe I either need to a) rip up a perfectly good 20x20 concrete pad, b) find a pool that’s under 42”, c) risk electrocution, or d) give up on pool idea.

On a hot tub forum they mentioned solving the bonding issue laying down a bunch of rubber pads instead of ripping up the slab—anyone know if that would work on a bigger scale?

This thread Does your pool need to be bonded to add a SWG? had this comment:

There are two classes of above ground pools. If the pool is put up and taken down seasonally, it is simplest to use the pump and SWG only when no one is in the pool and not bother with bonding. If the pool is left up over the winter, you should bond it properly.

Reactions: Purple
Yeah, I realistically don’t have anywhere to store a pool in winter, so technically it would be a permanent pool requiring bonding. Unfortunately I just can’t justify ripping out the pad, nor is it probably in the budget. Back to the drawing board...

The concrete pad have rebar in it?
Possibly? I’m not sure how to tell and physically I don’t think I could make a bunch of holes in concrete to find out. I’m thinking I may be better off just finding a shorter pool. Although even that makes me a little nervous—it seems like if a 54” pool could shock you, so could a 42”. Maybe too unsafe for kids?

Here's what you should do. Run two bonding loops. One around the legs of the pool and tie it to the legs in the required four places (or more if you'd like). Then run a second loop around the edge of the slab and connect the two loops together by running a few pieces of wire across the narrowest places on the slab. To secure the wire to the slab you can either saw cut some channels in the slab or use epoxy (or other caulking) to cover the wire. You can then extend the bond loop to any other equipment outside the slab.

Reactions: Purple
Here's what you should do. Run two bonding loops. One around the legs of the pool and tie it to the legs in the required four places (or more if you'd like). Then run a second loop around the edge of the slab and connect the two loops together by running a few pieces of wire across the narrowest places on the slab. To secure the wire to the slab you can either saw cut some channels in the slab or use epoxy (or other caulking) to cover the wire. You can then extend the bond loop to any other equipment outside the slab.
Thank you. I’ll try this :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.