Bonding; in contact with pool water AND/OR rebar in concrete shell

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Having my patio replaced, came to find out my early 80's Anthony Sylvan pool was never bonded. I get the #8 solid copper needing to make a loop around the pool, connect to 4 points, and connect to the pool equipment. But is it EITHER connect it to the rebar in the pool structure, OR, use a Bundy type kit (ex: Burndy BWB680AGRK Waterbug Pool Water Bonding Kit) that goes in the skimmer box? The metal fitting that goes into a pvc T fitting (ex: Perma-Cast PB2008 Water Bonding Fitting PB-2008) isn't ideal since water would only be bonded when the pool pump is on.

Also, reading the threads I'm confused if the bonding wire needs to connect to a grounding rod, and if so can it be the same one the main house panel is connected to?

BTW I don't have a metal ladder or handrail.

Thanks!

1. no bonding to ground rod... ground rod is for ground...
2. you connect to 4 points around the pool weather it be pool or rebar or anything metal within 5 feet of the pool
3. use the bundy to bond the water..
4. connect to all pool equipment

All done :)

hmmm, wait one... I just saw and read this will be a concrete pool.. I thought it was an above ground, there I go thinking again..... lets ask someone else if you need the burndy...

What do you 2 think, do they need a burndy in the skimmer for an inground concrete pool

@jimmythegreek @JamesW

What type of pool lights do you have?

Often pool light niches are used for the water bond. But now there are non-metallic light niches that cannot be used for that.

At least 9 square inches are required for the water bond.

Reactions: cowboycasey
If you have metal light niches then they should have a bonding connection and form your water bond.

Only problem is its buried 4' or so underground.
Edit: now that I think of it I should go check that mini junction box, for the light, thats a few feet away from the deep end. The bond wire might be attached there.

Last edited:
Take a look in the pool light junction box. If its metal conduit up to it there wont ne one. The new style boxes get the bond wire to the outside of it on a lug. Realistically you will never be fully bonded as the shell rebar is not available but the rest is way more important anyway. Is there rebar in the the deck being poured?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I decided to have the pool company thats replacing my skimmers go ahead and do the bonding wire. I really didn't want to pay them the $ to do it because it seemed like a simple task and the owner made it sound like they would have to connect it to proper rebar in the pool shell (I'm referring to shell as the ~12" concrete frame, whats the right word?). I say "proper" because there was rebar sticking out from the pool shell. Yesterday he said they may have to jackhammer into the shell to connect to better rebar. Today they just clamped the wire to the rebar sticking out of the shell. So yeah.

Either way its done and I guess I would have always wondered if I did it right. Honestly, not sure if clamping the wire to rebar will accomplish anything.

The patio will have iron mesh for the concrete that the copper will be attached to.

Last edited:
That is the way it is done.. should have looked like 1 of these

nope, that is supposed to be the pool light or something in the water like that burndy that is connected to the bonding wire..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.