Chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Approaching the end of our build. This past week our bluestone was mortared on top of a 4” slab of concrete that had been curing for 6 weeks. I think the builder used Portland mix for the joints - the joints have been curing for just under 48 hours. Attaching pic the appearance this morning from above.

Yesterday the joints barely seemed perceptible during the day.
Looking for reassurance that the appearance will evolve/even out over time. They haven’t come back to do an acid wash yet. A little concerned with the pronounced look of the joints this morning. Is my patio going to look like this every morning before it dries out? Or is this just part of the curing process?

F1043EE6-0A4F-455D-BCD1-64161598644A.jpeg

Last edited:
Update - you can see the joints and pavers have dried out and don’t stand out appreciably on the portion of the patio (bottom) that the sun has been on for even about 15 minutes. Pool patio is still quite noticeable.58ECE99E-D1D3-4BFE-A260-A560CC7014C4.jpegFB1DB134-C920-4BC1-993C-B9030CF2D733.jpeg

I think the pronounced look is a result of a bit of grout haze around the joints. It’s hard to tell from the pics. But if there is some grout haze A muriatic acid wash can help along with a nylon brush for scrubbing. You can google removing grout haze on slate or bluestone to get more advice. I think the sooner the better. I’m not an expert but I did replace my bathroom floor with natural stone myself and dealt with the same issue. It will definitely fade with time but let the patio guy know it’s a concern.

Reactions: crimson avenger
For what it’s worth everything looks really good. I like the design.

Thanks for the reassurance. We have spent so much money, coupled with so much time looking at this project that we might need fresh eyes.
The PB was going to do an acid wash so I’ll try and reserve judgement for now. Attaching a few more pics I just took.12AEE216-B626-42B3-9A20-06A509044090.jpeg57F05B0F-D901-4C79-B405-655D14A3B197.jpeg1A35AFC4-87D4-4902-A1E1-C5B1BF35D84C.jpegE375E98B-A9B2-4C0E-A699-74EC3F336532.jpeg

It’s a fresh job. No matter what it’s gonna fade and even out. But if I came over to your house right now it would not jump out as a defect to me, I’d just chock it up to being brand new. The average person won’t notice at all.

The biggest thing to worry about is that all the tile is square, sloped properly, even, and has good adhesion. If they got that right, chances are they did a good job with the grout.

The biggest thing to worry about is that all the tile is square, sloped properly, even, and has good adhesion. If they got that right, chances are they did a good job with the grout.
We have absolutely no reason to doubt our pool builder. The level of detail and quality throughout the process has been completely impeccable. That’s why I’m not completely freaking out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.