Bleach/liquid chlorine suggestion

TXHeat

Aug 13, 2014
Mansfield, TX
Been a while since I've posted here.....mainly because I learned how to handle my own pool with this website with fantastic, clear water results and not a hint of problems or algae over the last couple seasons. But did learn something inadvertently I'd like to share......and maybe is well known and been shared before, but figured I'd put it out there anyway.

When I started TFP methods, I went with standard off the shelf 8% bleach, whether from Walmart, Aldi or the like. Only drawback I noticed was my CH was really increasing and getting to the 600 range or higher and was starting to worry I was going to have to drain part of the pool to get back in line. One day I was in Home Depot and noticed they had their house brand HDX liquid chlorine for $9.98 sold in 3-gallon units, but it was 10%. So a little more expensive than what I was paying at the discount places, but more potent. Since I'm in HD all the time anyway and it was conventient, I figured I'd give it a shot for awhile and have used it since.

Long story short, this past pool season, I noticed my CH falling and settling in a very acceptable 250-300 range and was pleasantly surprised. Did some research like reading the label (duh, right?) and turns out the HD product contains no calcium, hence the reason for the fall in the CH levels. Makes balancing the pool much easier for sure and will continue to use their product, although there are I'm sure others similar.

I usually go through 4-5 gallons a week in my 15K+/- pool during pool season when it gets heavy use and maybe a gallon or two a week out of season.

Just a suggestion based on my personal experience and wanted to share.

We always recommend using plain bleach with no additives. It sounds like the bleach you were using had some additive that contained calcium. You have to read labels carefully as almost all bleach today has some additive to differentiate it and improve cleaning performance.

Been a while since I've posted here.....mainly because I learned how to handle my own pool with this website with fantastic, clear water results and not a hint of problems or algae over the last couple seasons. But did learn something inadvertently I'd like to share......and maybe is well known and been shared before, but figured I'd put it out there anyway.

When I started TFP methods, I went with standard off the shelf 8% bleach, whether from Walmart, Aldi or the like. Only drawback I noticed was my CH was really increasing and getting to the 600 range or higher and was starting to worry I was going to have to drain part of the pool to get back in line. One day I was in Home Depot and noticed they had their house brand HDX liquid chlorine for $9.98 sold in 3-gallon units, but it was 10%. So a little more expensive than what I was paying at the discount places, but more potent. Since I'm in HD all the time anyway and it was conventient, I figured I'd give it a shot for awhile and have used it since.

Long story short, this past pool season, I noticed my CH falling and settling in a very acceptable 250-300 range and was pleasantly surprised. Did some research like reading the label (duh, right?) and turns out the HD product contains no calcium, hence the reason for the fall in the CH levels. Makes balancing the pool much easier for sure and will continue to use their product, although there are I'm sure others similar.

I usually go through 4-5 gallons a week in my 15K+/- pool during pool season when it gets heavy use and maybe a gallon or two a week out of season.

Just a suggestion based on my personal experience and wanted to share.
?HaPpY that you’ve nailed down the products that work best. I have been helped by TFP, but I will say, the liquid bleach I have bought locally, from different retailers has never contained calcium.

Thanks guys! But the bleach I was using from multiple places prior was plain bleach with supposedly no additives. However, my results from then and since the change show that was not the case since that was simply the only change I made from what I was putting in my pool, hence my post about this specific product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.