Glastonbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Last time I cleaned my cartridge filter I soaked it in dishwasher detergent and then rinsed off and let dry. I didn't soak in Muriatic acid. While rinsing off it was fairly white but after drying it now looks like the picture. Can I add a little bleach during dishwashing detergent soak to help with this? Did I do any permanent damage to the filter?

I know adding bleach to MA soak would be real bad idea

Attachments

• 20200817_195614.jpg
    20200817_195614.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 18
Bleach is not necessary.

I suspect what you see may be iron. An MA soak may help that. Or Ascorbic Acid should do the same thing.

Reactions: TexasBR
Bleach is not necessary.

I suspect what you see may be iron. An MA soak may help that. Or Ascorbic Acid should do the same thing.

Where could the iron be coming from? I thought that was usually a problem for those on wells and I am on city water

Closing pool today and plan on doing a MA soak so hopefully that will fix it

Small amounts of iron can be in any water system. Be sure you soak them in TSP or dishwasher detergent prior to the MA.

A followup question. Soaked my filters in MA and they are pretty much all white now so that definitely helped. The instructions said to leave in until bubbles stop but I never saw bubbles start so I just left each in for a few minutes. Is that unusual even though they did clean up from where they started?

I also did not see any bubbling when I added Borax (didn't have enough baking soda on hand) to neutralize the water.

Most likely no calcium scale on the filters. The staining was iron that was cleaned up by the MA.

Not certain why you did not see any reaction when adding borax to the acid water. You would have had to add quite a bit to neutralize it depending on what acid to water ratio you used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In my side yard in some ivy I've been meaning to eventually pull up but right now it's just kind of a mess and semi hidden. Also below some trees but hard to avoid trees in my yard

Poured it out up top of steps away from house. Area is covered in the same ivy shown under red circle

Attachments

• 20201002_124735.jpg
    20201002_124735.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 7
OK that's good.

Out of curiosity what is the concern about near plants if I didn't get a lot of rain? If pH is 7 my guess is not acidity

No plants like chemicals to the extreme. May be no effect, just not good practice to dump chemicals with potential effects on plants unless you are not concerned for the plants. Rain will help dilute and disperse any salts, etc that were in the liquid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.