Bleach degridation

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
I have been using Chlorox Bleach purchased at Sams Club for a few years now. Since Chlorox changed the SH level from 8.25 to 6.05 percent I am looking for new alternatives. I was in Leslies today (God forbid, only to buy acid) and noticed that their Chlorine was 10 percent and sold for about 4 dollars a gallon. So it looks like Sam's bleach (about $3.30 a gallon, 121 Oz) is about 45 cents worth of SH per gallon and Leslies is about 31 cents per gallon.

I would switch now to Leslies stuff, but have one question:

Will the higher concentration liquid chlorine degrade faster than the weaker stuff?

I know that the concentration will degrade with time and temperature, but am I better off to stick with Sam's club or Leslies?

As a side note, I use a Stenner tank and in SoCal here it gets hot in the summer.

bleach stablilty.jpg

Yes. Higher concentrations have a shorter half life.

I've seen some pictures on here of buried bleach plastic barrels. Seems like it could be cooler and darker (if covered).

With 6% bleach I don't even worry about the dates.

Check out Home Depot. You can get a 2 gallon case of 10% for $6.86 or buy 4 cases or more and pay only $6.17. Check the date code buy fresh and use it before 2 months.

It's time to look for a HASA dealer. Their locator page is caput, but if you use the contact us page, they can tell you who handles their stuff near you. You ever see those pool service guys drive by with the yellow and orange milk crates in the back? That's HASA stuff. 31.45% acid and 12.5% bleach in returnable jugs.

Here in AZ we have Fry's (Food, not Electronics!), which I believe is called Ralph's in CA. Some of the larger Fry's here sell Aqua-Tek 10% 1 Gallon 2 packs for $5.99 with your Fry's frequent shopper card. Works out to 2.34 cents per ounce, which is slightly less than the local HASA dealers here.

View attachment 79870

Yes. Higher concentrations have a shorter half life.

I've seen some pictures on here of buried bleach plastic barrels. Seems like it could be cooler and darker (if covered).

With 6% bleach I don't even worry about the dates.

Thanks for the chart, tells me what I need to know. Just came home with 8 gallons of the 10% stuff so I will see how it goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.