St. Petersburg, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi friends. Recently did a Jack's Magic application in my well water rust stained pool a week and a half ago. The results were amazing. The problem is the water clarity has gotten progressively worse since if tried to slowly in increase my FC via my SWG and I've been measuring 0 FC since. I fear for the 1st time ever I've got an algae bloom starting. I'm reading here about how to do the SLAM but I'm unable to find the bleach/chlorine calculator. Where do I find it?
Screenshot_20230222-183156.png

You have 73 for your pH. That is not chemically possible.

That is your correct SLAM FC. It likely will cause the iron to come back out of solution.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for pointing the pH out. I see it now. Also, I input the CYA wrong. Should be 42. I'm going to give it another day or two of frequent bushings and then backwash as much iron as I can out 1st. I literally see dark clouds roll away as I brush There was a lot of rust in there. Walls were orange before this. I waiting till "winter" to do the stain removal but the weather turned unexpectedly warm.

With that much iron you are better off to drain the pool and refill with fresh water.

Again, you cannot measure a CYA of 42 ppm. What test kit are you using?

With that much iron you are better off to drain the pool and refill with fresh water.

Again, you cannot measure a CYA of 42 ppm. What test kit are you using?
I'm using the test kit from trouble free pools. My level in the skinny tube was between 60 and 40 but closer to 40.

For CYA test we always round up to the nearest 10 so your reported CYA should be 50.

Do you have a pic of your pool water? Sarasota water is normally not that high in iron,
I went back and reread the instructions on how to do the CYA test and it indeed says to round so I'll make sure to do that going forward. My irrigation system (well water) was shooting into my pool for I assume years is what caused the iron stains. I rectified it last year. I'm going to get aggressive on filtering, draining and refilling before I do the SLAM (unless things turn way south). I may have tried to go back to my normal pump settings too soon after the stain removal. I've suffered looking at those stains way to long to have them come back from a SLAM.

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_143434108_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230211_143434108_HDR.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 13
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.