Bleach & Acid - Balancing Spa

Bleach & Acid - Balancing Spa

Wait! Isn't bleach super basic and needs acid to balance? I am looking for an equation that tells me how much dry acid to add as a function of how much house hold bleach I add to keep the resulting PH at 7.4 or so....
Cindy, you seem to have posted to an old thread, but for now we'll leave it here and simply try to answer your question. We can move it later if needed. The bleach (free chlorine) is balanced to the current CYA (stabilizer) level as noted on our [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] page. The pH is balanced more against your current TA and CH levels to prevent scale or prevent the water from being too corrosive. Bleach is considered neutral only in that even if (in high levels) it causes the pH to rise initially when added, the pH will go back to its original position once the FC level drops back down. Even then, it's takes a fairly large amount (high level) of FC to really effect pH. PH movement is slight until the FC goes over 10. Again, once the FC drops back under 10 the pH will be close to its original position.

For all chemical dosages and side effects, we recommend using the PoolMath. That tool takes everything into account for you. See more on our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry page. Hope that helps.

I also see from your sig that you have a spa. You might want to review this page: How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

Wait! Isn't bleach super basic and needs acid to balance? I am looking for an equation that tells me how much dry acid to add as a function of how much house hold bleach I add to keep the resulting PH at 7.4 or so....

Yes, but no. Bleach is basic, but the chemical reaction of chlorine reacting with something is acidic and so balances itself out to be pH neutral. This can be attested by those of us who have very good pH balance despite using exclusively bleach or an SWG (which creates basic chemicals as a byproduct of chlorine production). Please don't look for equations to blindly follow, properly test your water and give it what it needs. We also steer away from dry acid, especially in a spa as the sulfate can build up and damage the heating element.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.