Black stain caused by worms?

JoannaB

Oct 17, 2018
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Uncovered our pool to vacuum yesterday, which I have to do several times during the winter due to all the worms and fir needles we get (even tho it's covered!) After cleaning up the usual big clump of worms in the bottom there was a large black spot about 8"x 5" irregular in shape, right where the worms and needles were lying. I tried brushing it with the long-handled brush but it didn't budge. The pool is not open and 60 degrees so I'm not going in for a closer look yet. Any advice on how to get rid of it before I open the pool or will I have to wait?

Do you have a trichlor tablet? If you do, and you can get to the spot, put the tablet on the spot for 10-15 minutes, no longer. If that lightens or removes it, it is an organic stain that will disappear over time with proper chlorination levels.

Thanks. I'll try it. I just got my CYA under control at the end of the last season by draining half the pool and switching over to the TFP method, so I'm loathe to put any sticks or tabs in the pool. Here's a pic of the quite large stain. I'm afraid quite a few will be required. Hopefully my CYA will not be effected too much.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 23
Use PoolMath, Effects of Adding Chemicals, to see what effect one stick would have.

Though, hopefully, it will not fully dissolve in a few minutes. Do not let it sit in spot more than 10 minutes or so.

I had some pretty noticable organic stains from worms and/or leaves this spring. They were gone within 24 hours with a slightly elevated FC level. So once you confirm the nature, you should be all but set.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.